Pinging Problem

OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys i'm currently studying for my CCNA which I hope to take in a couple of months. I'm playing around with the network topology you see in the attachment. I have no issues whatsoever pinging from R1 all the way to PC2 and vice versa. Pinging to the interface IP's as well as the loopback ip's for each device works fine. Then I decided to add the Access Server and connect it to SW1. This is where i ran into problems... I cannot even ping from R1 to the Access Server or even from the switch to the AS Ethernet interface. I have tried adding static routes but I can't get it to ping. Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong and what I need to do to fix this? icon_sad.gif

If there's more information that you need that I haven't provided in the attachment let me know! Thanks guys....

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    If those addresses are valid, the access server is on a different subnet than the rest of the hosts connected to the switch; unless you've got some kind of intervlan routing setup.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Oscedumir wrote: »
    Hi guys i'm currently studying for my CCNA which I hope to take in a couple of months. I'm playing around with the network topology you see in the attachment. I have no issues whatsoever pinging from R1 all the way to PC2 and vice versa. Pinging to the interface IP's as well as the loopback ip's for each device works fine. Then I decided to add the Access Server and connect it to SW1. This is where i ran into problems... I cannot even ping from R1 to the Access Server or even from the switch to the AS Ethernet interface. I have tried adding static routes but I can't get it to ping. Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong and what I need to do to fix this? icon_sad.gif

If there's more information that you need that I haven't provided in the attachment let me know! Thanks guys....

what's your config on your 3550? further more what exactly are you pinging? where does your traceroute end? troubleshoot from that point. i'm going to assume the trouble lies within the switch config itself.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys sorry for the delay I have my physical lab at work (fortunately have plenty of time to study/lab @work) so I had to wait until today
    @Somnipotent: I'm trying to ping to/from the Access Server I added to the network topology to the other routers/switches and pc's on the network.

Below is the current config of my 3550:
    SW1.pdf 16.5K
  • m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    SW1 is essentially a L2 switch, unless it's servicing as the GW for the hosts. All ports are on VLAN1,and it's not running any routing protocol or static routes. Your access server is on 192.168.5.0/24, and everything else is on 192.168.1.0/24
    So how can I make them talk to each other? Do i need to add static routes to both the switch and AS? Or do intervlan routing as Darthn3ss suggested?
  • m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    can you re-ip the access server?
    m3zilla wrote: »
    can you re-ip the access server?

yeah to an ip in the same subnet as the others you mean?
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    You can only access host which are on the same vlan and same subnet unless you have configured inter vlan routing. :) make the AS on the same subnet and interface on the same vlan if it is not and hopefully it will work :) goodluck sir.
    halaakajan wrote: »
    You can only access host which are on the same vlan and same subnet unless you have configured inter vlan routing. :) make the AS on the same subnet and interface on the same vlan if it is not and hopefully it will work :) goodluck sir.

Hmmm I guess when I added the AS to the topology and configured it's E0 IP to something not on the same subnet as the others, maybe subconsciously I wanted to provide some sort of "challenge" for myself to make it work by using intervlan routing. I'll read up on that and watch some tutorials and try and make it work on my own.

Of course the easy way would be to configure the AS's IP to be on the same subnet but where's the fun in that right? :)
  • luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Agree with the rest , just change the Access Server to the 1 network if there if is not in a different vlan , and if that's the case you will have to use intervlan routing.