Options

How do employers react to your WGU degree?

wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm just curious what the response is from employers or potential employers when they see that you have a degree from WGU. I know that places like University of Phoenix are generally looked down upon, but is the response toward WGU generally positive?I'm just asking because I'd like to do one of their MS programs after I get my CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Haven't had any issues yet and havent been turned down for a job I've interviewed for. Usually if they bring up my school, they just ask where its located and I say Utah. I'll usually throw in there that it was "distance learning" and that's usually the end of that
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    CLEMENTE21CLEMENTE21 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I googled WGU ( was clueless about that) and after researching. I thought it's great school. I doubt anyone would feel different about WGU. If I knew about that, I would have applied WGU, but I am a half away to become a Penn State Unviersity student.

I read some threads and I noticed that most companies might don't care about school, as long as there are experiences we have that make them interested. I thought Phoenix was spam before I learned so much about online courses.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was approached by a technical recruiter on LinkedIn that's a hospital attached to an Ivy League school. Was asked to turn in a resume but told this guy that I would have it done by Monday (when we're all off.)

Whether I get so much as an interview is irrelevant, I'm not even looking right now and I probably get calls once or twice a week because:

1) I have a current job

2) The ERP I support is in huge demand

3) I have an undergraduate degree

As I'll always say, and I take this from another WGU graduate who is popular on the LinkedIn boards..."People only care about the last degree that was earned." Even if WGU was going to end up being my last degree, it is a checkbox that is both valid, legal and was worthwhile pursuing. Between WGU and my own work-ethic as it pertained to schooling (when alcohol and partying weren't involved) I felt very prepared for graduate school. WGU gives people like me a chance to finish what I started, and for that I'm always going to feel indebted to them. :) Trust me, employers are seeing that the degree "is real...and it's spectacular!"
    CLEMENTE21 wrote: »
    I thought Phoenix was spam before I learned so much about online courses.

The one good thing about Phoenix, thanks to watching "College Inc." is that Phoenix and other for-profits showed that online learning can be very viable in distance learning. However, that's about the only good thing for-profit institutions did that was good, in my opinion. Between their recruiting tactics and the fact that they're number one concern is shareholders (not students), they kind of left me unimpressed. Plus, for the price of attending UoP, I could have attended Penn State; something you, no doubt saw as well. :)