Some general questions about vtp and other topics...

ricky8ricky8 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
So here are 3 screens i took from packet tracer.

screen 1.
i configured vtp to version 1 but it says its already in version 1 but it clearly says version 2 in the "show vtp status" command. is it a glitch in packet tracer or am i missing something.

2565ouw.png

screen 2.
i want to configure vtp domain to Ranet. but again it says that Ranet name is already set when it clearly shows in the earlier "show vtp status" command that the vtp domain was not configured. but if i check the vtp status again after i set the vtp domain name it then shows the vtp domain name to Ranet. is this a glitch in packet tracer or am i missing something?
10omixf.png

screen 3.
i check the vtp revision number before i make any changes and it has been set to 5. i configured the vtp domain name to ranet and now the revision number is 0? i thought the only way to reset the revision number was to set the vtp mode to transparent mode and then set it back to either client/server mode. or you can delete the vlan.dat file. again, is this a glitch with packet tracer or am i missing something?
2rx8js8.png

screen 4.
which "show" commands display which ports are connected to what devices. i know there is a "show cdp neighbors" command that will discover other cisco devices are are connected. but what if the switch is connected to multiple pcs. how do i know which port on the switch is connected to which pc. for example how do i know which switch port is connected to host 1 and which port is connected to host 2. in packet tracer you can hover your cursor over the cable and it will display the ports but i want to know the proper way by using the "show" commands.
21j0g21.png

thanks...

Comments

• ricky8ricky8 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i know it's a long read but i'd appreciate some help. thanks.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    VTP Version shows the capabilities of the device. The VTP V2 Mode, listed a few lines below, reflects the vtp version it is currently configured to operate in. As far as your other questions, I'm not too familiar with Packet Tracer (it's been a few years since I've touched it). It's not as reliable as real hardware that's for sure.

Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    VTP Version shows the capabilities of the device. The VTP V2 Mode, listed a few lines below, reflects the vtp version it is currently configured to operate in. As far as your other questions, I'm not too familiar with Packet Tracer (it's been a few years since I've touched it). It's not as reliable as real hardware that's for sure.

thanks. anybody else? i know there are a lot of smart people here that can answer my questions.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i used packet tracer for my CCNA prep, honestly I have know idea why it says that. odd for sure, I wouldnt stress over it, my understanding of VTP the version is default 2 by changing it to 1 you loose some functionality because its the original version of VTP. less buggy etc..

the vtp revision number question: I think the revision number goes to 0 when you change or overwrite the VTP domain. only thing I could think of

show mac-address-table will show which end-user to which cable by mac then cross-reference the macs. other then that, off the top of my head I cant think of another command
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
    matt333 wrote: »
    i used packet tracer for my CCNA prep, honestly I have know idea why it says that. odd for sure, I wouldnt stress over it, my understanding of VTP the version is default 2 by changing it to 1 you loose some functionality because its the original version of VTP. less buggy etc..

the vtp revision number question: I think the revision number goes to 0 when you change or overwrite the VTP domain. only thing I could think of

show mac-address-table will show which end-user to which cable by mac then cross-reference the macs. other then that, off the top of my head I cant think of another command

thanks matt for the response...

i thought the only way to reset the revision number to 0 was to set switch vtp mode transparent then back to either client/server mode or by deleting the vlan.dat file.. i didnt know setting a domain name resets the revision number as well. can anyone confirm this?

i forgot about the show mac-address table command. that would provide some useful information. i had a question where i had to configure a switch port's ip default gateway. the problem was i didnt know what the ip address of the host was. is there any way to find out what a host's ip address is by using a show command from the switch?

thanks.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    You know how when they say some features are disabled in Packet Tracer? VTP V. 1 is one of them. The academy doesn't want you using it, and I don't see why you would need to in PT. It says in the text for that course that you should only ever use VTP V1 when you have older equipment that doesn't support V2. Since all the hardware in PT can emulate V2, that is why they have it disabled. Don't waste a lot of time on it, it's no biggie.

Edit: And I have used PT for a good amount of time, and I can only tell you that I have seen 1 maybe 2 real bugs the whole time. You have to remember it is emulation software, so there are going to be a few things different, and Cisco is right up front saying that not all features are available or supported.
    zrockstar wrote: »
    You know how when they say some features are disabled in Packet Tracer? VTP V. 1 is one of them. The academy doesn't want you using it, and I don't see why you would need to in PT. It says in the text for that course that you should only ever use VTP V1 when you have older equipment that doesn't support V2. Since all the hardware in PT can emulate V2, that is why they have it disabled. Don't waste a lot of time on it, it's no biggie.

Edit: And I have used PT for a good amount of time, and I can only tell you that I have seen 1 maybe 2 real bugs the whole time. You have to remember it is emulation software, so there are going to be a few things different, and Cisco is right up front saying that not all features are available or supported.

changing the vtp version was part of the lab requirements.
    Was it a lab or a packet tracer activity?
    Was it a lab or a packet tracer activity?

it was one of the Ranet Labs. i think they are quite popular on these boards.
    Ok, just wondering because labs are generally meant to be done with gear. Packet Tracer Activities are actually scenarios in Packet Tracer that grades you as you go along through the activities. That's why I was wondering because I don't think a PT Activity would have you do VTP Version 1 because it is not a supported protocol, so when doing labs in PT, you have to remember that and realize not everything is going to be supported, although most stuff will be, especially if it applies directly to CCNA.
    Ok, just wondering because labs are generally meant to be done with gear. Packet Tracer Activities are actually scenarios in Packet Tracer that grades you as you go along through the activities. That's why I was wondering because I don't think a PT Activity would have you do VTP Version 1 because it is not a supported protocol, so when doing labs in PT, you have to remember that and realize not everything is going to be supported, although most stuff will be, especially if it applies directly to CCNA.

i wasnt sure what you meant between a "lab" and "packet tracer activity". i guess it was a lab that was meant for packet tracer. it would grade your lab based on the amount of tasks completed.

i would probably get some routers or switches but for ccna level, packet tracer along with some books should be enough.