Options

Network setup for apartment

dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
I just moved into a apartment in which they provide the internet for free. They have a proxy server for the internet and a DHCP that provides the IP's for all the users on the network. The network is poorly secure and would like to secure my apartment from there LAN. Is it possible to run my own NAT using there provided internet connection? I would need a router with 2 ethernet ports I'm assuming, one ethernet interface will be the outside IP address and the other will be the inside ip address or the NAT side of things. Is it possible to do this? I was thinking a cisco 2621 with 2 ethernet ports could do this or possibly my 2620 and get another ethernet card for it.

Comments

• Options
    s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't think of any reason that would prevent you from doing so. You don't need a Cisco router either, a cheap linksys or something similiar to that would work.

Of course if your studying for your CCNA and have the money then spending the extra money for the Cisco router is a great idea!
  • Options
    I do have some cisco equipment laying around a Cisco 2620 router, 2513 router, and 2 2900XL switches. How would i configure the fast ethernet port on the router to get the ip address automatically from their DHCP server?
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I'd say get a cheap linksys router and just use NAT from that. Then you will be able to use "stealth" setup on the ports or quite possibly use a DMZ configuration if the complex has a poorly configured firewall. If you have an RJ-45 jack in which you connect to the ISP now, you could just hook the router unto that and use one of the output ports from your router and put it into your NIC. Pretty simple stuff.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dan, I'm not sure how you would do that. Perhaps google the information. Once you have that figured out the only thing your really need to do is setup a gateway of last resort / default route pointing to the apartments router (i think).
  • Options
    Reloaded,
    Yea I know I can do that but the goal is to use my Cisco equipment to further my learning but thanks.

s0c0,
    Yea I have tried googling the information already haven't come up with anything looks like I need to have the static IP that they need to give me in order for me to use my cisco equipment. I'll ask around on somewhere else as well.

THanks guys keep the info coming if you know anything.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    You can configure certain routers with certain IOS builds to be DHCP clients. I use my 1710 with cable. Use the IP address DHCP command.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Reloaded,
    Yea I know I can do that but the goal is to use my Cisco equipment to further my learning but thanks.
    My bad... icon_cool.gif . Good idea though. When I build my lab, I might just keep the routers around for LAN parties. icon_lol.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    Think I got it, looks like I want to use "IP ADDRESS DHCP CLIENT-ID FASTETHERNET0/0".
  • Options
    he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are you able to request a static IP from the LANlord/LAN admin icon_cool.gif or do you have to use the DHCP?
  • Options
    he-man wrote:
    are you able to request a static IP from the LANlord/LAN admin icon_cool.gif or do you have to use the DHCP?

LOL, My mother knows more about networking than their so called admin. Anyways I got the router to get an IP address from the DHCP all is well now.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dan87951 wrote:
    I do have some cisco equipment laying around a Cisco 2620 router, 2513 router, and 2 2900XL switches. How would i configure the fast ethernet port on the router to get the ip address automatically from their DHCP server?

do you want a basic security or advanced?
    i think your equipment over there more than enough.
    set 1 router to do NAT and you will have a basic security.
    get 1 interface to connect to your provider (requesting DHCP) and 1 to your LAN.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.