Options

CASP vs SSCP?

JoeB99JoeB99 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,
I just got my sec+ cert last week and need to keep moving on . I see Comptia has a relatively new cert CASP, so I'm debating doing that vs the SSCP (which has been around longer and has more recognition). Anyone have any ideas to share regarding CASP and SSCP?
Thanks, JB

Comments

• Options
    flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoeB99, I also just passed my security+ cert last month and I was having the same dilemma. I decided to go for the SSCP instead from ISC2, only because it touches on a lot more domains and is the little brother to the CISSP. I haven't read much on the CASP, but I think the SSCP would hold more value due to it's domains and the ISC2 name it carries (IMO).

Thanks flt0nujr
    B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SSCP is the way to go, more people know it then CASP.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Currently on dice.com:
    SSCP = 81 hits
    CASP = 0 hits
  • Options
    sasho_zlsasho_zl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CASP is a very challenging exam and I'm sure that it will gain a lot of recognition in the future. For now unfortunately it is still very new on the market.
    SSCP is a good way to go but I don't see what is the relation to the CASP. SSCP is an entry level certificate and the CASP is an advanced level.
    If you check the US DoD 8570 M1 standard for IA you will find that SSCP is even put as a L1 IA certificate and Sec+ is a level 2. CASP is expected to land on the level 3 in a year or two.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Both SSCP and CASP are mid-level security certs. Security+ is entry-level. What level a cert is placed in 8570.01-M is not necessarily where it also ranks in level of knowledge and expertise required. The DoD tends to put something where it needs it and not necessarily where it belongs.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    SSCP is good for IAT 1-2 and CND Infrastructure Support. Sec + is good for IAT 1-2 and IAM 1. I wouldnt use the DOD ranking as a determining factor on what level the SSCP is.
  • Options
    DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to appreciate the dialogue that goes on here at this site. I, too, just obtained my Sec+ cert a week ago Monday and I'm looking for the next step. I would like to go the Cisco route but the SSCP is what the DOD has down for a requirement. Having been a previous Federal Govt employee, I'm trying to break back in doing the thing I love. This thread has assisted in deciding how to proceed. I love this place!!!