Options

Passed 70-642 with a 940!!!

netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am not sure why but this test had my number the first 2 times, but today I got a 940 and feel it was well deserved. I would have to say I am disappointed on how poorly the official Microsoft Training kit prepared me on the first two attempts. There were many questions on each attempt that were not in any way covered in the study material or references and I had to do some serious research and labing to come up with the answers. One had me perplexed until I tried it on Server 2008 and realized how different that one item was compared to 2008R2.

I will say knowing the right answer is one thing, but when you know why the others are wrong that is even better.

Comments

• Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that's great! Congrats dude!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great example of perseverance paying off. Well done!!

What's next?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    My second attempt at the 70-640 is next. Certificate services, RMS, Federation services, and LDS had a very high percentage of the questions on the first round yet are only a small portion of the self paced training kit and really did me in. Server 2000 was all about groups and Active Directory, not any more though. Now that I did the 742 it will help has I have gotten more familiar with the DNS cmd tools.

Until last year it had been 10 years since taking a Microsoft test and I will say they have made them much harder. They might introduce multiple variables and technologies in a question and you have to determine what it is they are asking beyond the surface of the stated question.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass! :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    netsysllc wrote: »
    I will say knowing the right answer is one thing, but when you know why the others are wrong that is even better.

This guy gets it.

Congratulations! Your persistance is admirable.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats well done what were your resources ? . i am preparing for the 642 and i am really struggling to understand the concepts of the exam .
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    brad_121brad_121 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done mate.

I have failed that exam twice and have been doing some serious thinking as to how I study before i take it for the 3rd time. So your advice helps!

I'm totally with you when you say that the training materials alone don't prepare you for the exams.
  • Options
    This test covers many different technologies and it is tough to master.

Know the command line options for dnscmd, wecutil, wevutil, wbadmin, and the dfs commands very well, dont just remember them but understand them. Be sure you know the old from new on the dfs commands. Know when to use a globalnames zone or stubzone. Know the IPv6 address types and basic sub-netting. Know your roles and role services very well. Know your printer .vbs commands and unix services. Branchcache and direct access are also important to know, along with network monitor and ipsec.

Lastly make sure you are familiar with all of the different features and their options in the management tools.

The book is like a starting point and covers all of it at some level, but doing hands on and technet research will be what is needed to get the missing parts. I spent an additional 60 hours in the two weeks before my passing attempt digging in deeper. I will say failing a few times helps too, you have a better idea of what they are looking for.

Read the questions a few times to try to decipher what they are asking. A question might mention vista and xp but the technology will only apply to vista so gear the answer towards that. If it does not mention Server 2008R2 then they could be asking about Server 2008, know the management tool differences.

Many of the cmd options are here Technology Lists
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A well proven winner Mate:) Well done, everyone is indeed correct, it shows that perserverance pays. Awsome score, and thanks for your input on the study material, it's things like that which help us all.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    My second attempt at the 70-640 is next. Certificate services, RMS, Federation services, and LDS had a very high percentage of the questions on the first round yet are only a small portion of the self paced training kit and really did me in. Server 2000 was all about groups and Active Directory, not any more though. Now that I did the 742 it will help has I have gotten more familiar with the DNS cmd tools.

Until last year it had been 10 years since taking a Microsoft test and I will say they have made them much harder. They might introduce multiple variables and technologies in a question and you have to determine what it is they are asking beyond the surface of the stated question.

I'm in a similar boat. My last MS exam was 5 years ago. I dont know why I stopped. I am learning a hell of a lot though. I'm starting with 640 and have been studying for about a month. Was 642 a bit easier?