Options

Office 365 Suite

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone actually have the Office 365 Suite or any component setup at their workplace. Rumor has it that my job will soon be moving to this suite in the near feature. Also, I looked at some of the Jump Start videos and it looks pretty complex for just preparing for it or just having a "hybrid" setup (because the whole point of the 365 Suite is to be on the "cloud" offloading your own servers and using M$ datacenters). Just curious if anyone has any experience implementing this or know if it is worth to have in the long run?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you mean On-Premises Office Web Apps when you say Office 365 Suite?
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah sorry I did not clarify I actually meant Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and/or Lync Online...as I thought those were like the big 3 with the whole Office 365 Suite

I dont think I've heard of the "on-premise" Office Web App..is that a component as well? If you do use as part of the Office 365, can you tell me a little more on how that implementation went?
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    It is a PAIN in the arse. I worked for a small MSP and we had a few clients on it. We gave up. Biggest issue we ran into is sync issues. The customer would get weird sync messages from exchange online. Plus they would have to sign into 365 before opening outlook otherwise it wouldn't connect and so on. Not worth it to me.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I have done deployments of varying sizes/features already and I will be doing another POC in a couple of weeks. I will keep my opinion of the actual service to myself, but it is a crazy amount of work to even get a 25 user test POC set up. New servers, ADFS, Dirsync, AD changes, here is a partial list:

Office 365 Readiness Tool. Look for things like non-internet routable UPN suffixes like domain.local instead of domain.com. Oh, and about those public folders...
    ADFS 2.0 for domain federation and single sign-on. Two load-balanced internal servers, and two load-balanced external ADFS proxy servers, with a certificate installed on all 4. If the domain is federated and ADFS isn't available, then no signing in to email.
    DirSync to sync the separate AD directories. Take your pick of a 32bit IIFP version or 64bit FIM version, but build another server for that. No DirSync, no shared global address list. No GAL also means no Free/Busy, but F/B takes more than just dirsync.
    Exchange 2010 Hybrid server for our clients still etching messages into stone and having the 2003 pteradactyls fly them to their destination. Now you have to deal with autodiscover, OWA redirection, PoSH, and a SAN cert.

That's 6 servers, 2 certs, several days of AD, DNS and Exchange changes. Then you can move a mailbox. Be sure to read the Office 365 Deployment Guide for Enterprises before you get started, and follow the Exchange Deployment Assistant for best results.