Options

Anyone familiar with installing GNOME?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've got FreeBSD and I decided to install GNOME using ports. The installation has been prompting for the installation of various things. It's been taking so long that I can't sit here and start the various installations all day. It's going on day three and it's still not yet installed!! How long does it take to build GNOME? I've always used Ubuntu where it was already installed.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't use FreeBSD but I would imagine that it has a package manager that could install GNOME and all necessary dependencies. This page looks like it might be helpful:
    FreeBSD package Management (ports pkg_*) Basics
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    I'm redoing my install of GNOME using the package as the ports build is taking a really long time and consuming an unacceptable amount of disk space.

Wasted a whole lot of time with this. I got gnome installed and I wanted to configure a few things so I logged out of my user account and logged in as root. Once I did this, my wallpaper came up but nothing else happened and I "couldn't do anything" so I rebooted it. Upon reboot, the damn system goes through a loop cycle. I loaded my live disk and checked the /etc/rc.conf and /etc/fstab files and the changes I made in them are all gone...
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you doing this with actual hardware or in a virtual machine?
  • Options
    It's in a virtual machine. Seems the keyboard doesn't want to work either. It'll work for a few keystrokes and then stop.