Have you ever accidentally applied for a job at your current company?

wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but in the back of my mind I wonder if some of the jobs for which I am applying might actually be my company posting openings in other divisions that I don't know about.

Have you ever run into this situation? Or am I just being fantastical and out there?

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Something like that happened to me years ago. I was working a contract gig and I *loathed* the boss I was working under onsite. I decided to update my resume on Monster and all the usual sites. I got an email from the recruiter at the temp agency almost immediately telling me that he saw that I updated my resume and asking if everything was alright. I sheepishly replied that everything was well and that I was just maintaining my resume.

I ended up not leaving the position and getting hired on as a permanent employee while the offending boss got kicked to the curb for other nonsense

For your situation: If it ends up being your employer and you're on good terms with them, it might open some constructive dialogue. If you're leaving due to money or wanting more responsibilities, you give them a shot to offer you more.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Not accidently.

Just moving from part time in one job (working two part time jobs) to full time in the other on the 1st of July.

Working on equipment R&D (mostly physical layer, bit of levels 2 and 3) using fpgas .
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had the opposite happen. I had a recruiter send me the job description for the position and company that I had just started two months earlier. Ended up being a mistake, but that scared the crap out of me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    blargoe, same thing happened to a programmer friend of mine recently. Got pinged by a recruiter for a job with his current company, for a job that was title and description wise, the same as his current job. Funny stuff.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi