Options

Console password not being accepted after configuring it

T.AbbasiT.Abbasi Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Just turned on a factory default 2611xm router. Did some very basic configuration on it - changed the hostname and assigned a simple '1234' password to line con 0. and then i saved it the config and exit out of it. now when trying to access the router again, its not accepting my simple console password. any ideas as to why that might be?

i can perform a password recovery but i would like to know first what is the cause for not accepting the password.

regards.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Best bet is going to be breaking into it and loading the startup config, and rechecking the password.

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco 2600 and 2800 Series Routers - Cisco Systems
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Did you do a "1234 " and not "1234"? Notice the space on the end. Happens from time to time when people are using the "?" though the commands.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Did you do a "1234 " and not "1234"? Notice the space on the end. Happens from time to time when people are using the "?" though the commands.

hey guys, i did the password recover procedure as available on Cisco's site. removed line con 0 password and just configured the enable secret password .... all was well.
    • then, i did configure password secret cisco on line con 0
    • exit out
    • at the Password: prompt same thing, console password not accepting
    i made sure that the 'cisco' password during config didn't have an extra space or a ? at the end.

this is really frustrating. i've never come across this situation in the past.

thanks for reading and responding.

regards.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you sure you didn't just set the password to 'secret cisco'? I thought the syntax was password [password]
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't just set the password to 'secret cisco'? I thought the syntax was password [password]

omg. wait a minute!

i might be a bigger idiot than i think i'm... are you telling me that when i type password secret cisco..... my password actually is "secret cisco" and not just cisco??? cuz of the syntax?

if that is true, i'm ready to hit my head against the wall a few times. my entire Sunday late afternoon has been spent on this!

i is sad panda.

regards.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    T.Abbasi wrote: »
    omg. wait a minute!

i might be a bigger idiot than i think i'm... are you telling me that when i type password secret cisco..... my password actually is "secret cisco" and not just cisco??? cuz of the syntax?

if that is true, i'm ready to hit my head against the wall a few times. my entire Sunday late afternoon has been spent on this!

i is sad panda.

regards.

But did you learn something? If you did, then you didn't waste the afternoon even if you didn't spend it doing exactly what you had originally planned.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    thank you guys. i feel embarrassed and ashamed that i couldn't think of this and i call myself a ccna. for quite some time now, i had been configuring line vty 0 4 lines along with SSH that i forgot this minor syntax on console lines.

apologies to my all cisco brethren. this was pathetic. now i know.

ty everyone for reading and responding.

regards.
  • Options
    joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm ready to hit my head against the wall a few times

You could make it up with a picture of your bloody head icon_cheers.gif.

No worries man. it happens to everybody.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember one of those video series outlining this same password problem on either the console or vty port, and it's so ironic to relate this thread...

Be mindful of those little mistakes guys...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!