Options

Practice questions and score

jwadsjwads Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

Using the Gibson book to study, have completed all of the reading and taken the first pre assessment test, also taken some of the Pro Profs exams online, as well as the CompTIA Sec+ exam.

First off, am wondering what is needed to pass this exam? Is it 700, 720, 750 or 800? The Comp TIA test I got a 70/100 and it said I needed an 80 to pass, but I thought a 750/900 was required?

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for practice questions? I am saving the last Gibson test for a few days prior, but want as many questions as I can get my hands on. I feel like the Pro Profs questions are completely out of line, talking about keyless cryptography, unless I missed a section in the Gibson book, I have no idea what they are talking about...any help?

Hope to schedule my exam soon, wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

Comments

• Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    The passing score is 750 (on a 100-900 scale). I don't know where you got that 70/100 score from...I know you get the first 100 by simply registering and starting the exam.

I suggest just reading up on the Gibson book, use the Professor Messer videos, and even try the Practice Exam on this site.

Good luck! I'll be taking it soon as well! :)
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    jwadsjwads Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 70/100 was the score that I took on the Comp TIA site. It said I got 70/100 and needed 80/100 to pas.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    First, as Nytrocide said, the passing score of the live exam is 750 out of a 900 scale.

I've recently recognized that CompTIA has switched over to using MeasureUp for their practice test questions, but only in certification mode without the answers and explanations. Why does MeasureUp have a different score? I don't know.

When taking any practice test questions, I often stress that getting them right or wrong isn't as important as understanding why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. That said, I'd recommend going through the last 100 questions with that goal in mind. And then going through all the questions in the book again and with each one ask if you know why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. If not, refocus your studies to learn that material. This way, no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to get the question correct on the live exam.

You can buy the full bank of practice test questions from MeasureUp for $109 but you mention cost is an issue. That said, you have resources in your hands right now (available at a signficantly lower cost) that you can use to pass the exam the first time you take it, as long as you understand the questions and answers.

Good luck.
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    jwads wrote: »
    The 70/100 was the score that I took on the Comp TIA site. It said I got 70/100 and needed 80/100 to pas.

After taking a practice exam on CompTIA site again I can say that most likely means that you got 70/100 questions correct and you needed at least 80/100 to pass.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security