Options

Ethernet configuration

joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am not the best in Virtual machines but I am trying to learn. icon_rolleyes.gif.

I use Oracle Virtual Box (Is it any good?), anyways I have a virtual PC with Windows Server 2008 installed. I want to set it up as my home server to play with AD set up users and groups with all my computers. But I don't know how to connect my local network to the virtual PC. In my host pc I got Ethernet connection for VirtualBox I put in there the ip address I want the virtual pc to have, also I went into the virtual pc and put the same ip address in the the network adapter but I am not able to ping any computer in the network, not even the gateway, I always get destination host unreachable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Virtual network adapaters need to be set into bridge mode to be able to talk to other physical hosts on the network, or other virtual hosts on another physical machine.

And if I'm reading your post right, you said you used the same IP address on both machines? If so, that's a problem, IP addresses are unique on the network, and you can't use the same one twice.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi