Contract work (Acceptable notice of release, hire, renewal)?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Looking for some opinions

In your opinion what is an appropriate time frame that a contracting agency should notify if you will retained, hired on, released, etc? I am asking because I was told today that they would make a decision 45 days out. That to me seems a bit short. I usually been told several months in advance. Maybe I was a soldier of good fortune or just plain lucky, but IMO if the carrot is being dangled in front of you they should at least give you a few months to prepare for a new position.And if this is the case, do you consider it kosher to start looking for a position before your recent gig has expired? Ethically speaking

Thoughts?

Comments

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would say get your ducks in a row (resume, etc) and then ask the agency what their intentions are.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe their intentions are to keep me in the 12 month contract as long as possible so they look good and keep good relations with the customer personally.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Remember, you have to look out for yourself/family. That comes first. If you think it is in your best intrest to explore your options, do it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I can say from experience, that they don't have to give notice at all and usually they won't if you're working in IT. I would say that if they give you a time from of say 6 mos to 1 year, you should begin looking at the 6 month mark or earlier. Just like with any regular full-time job, they don't want to notify you if you're being fired or let go because you're working with sensitive data and they don't want you going rogue on their network.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Take it from someone who knows the contract game and start packing. 45 days means they are looking at other people to do what you are doing or other options that may not involve paying you any further, and a month and a half is more or less the amount of time it takes to get a replacement on the job when you have to do negotiations, background checks, and paperwork. If those don't pan out, they might extend your contract but they may not be looking to hire you at all no matter how great you think you've done. On contract work, you can be replaced at any time by someone else and there is no standard way of doing things except at the whim of those who hold the power.