cheater

headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
What should I do if I know someone cheated for the exam? What can be done and what would you do? Should I mind my own business?

Comments

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would let the individual burn on his own. They almost always do. There are more subtle ways to flush out cheaters and you don't have to worry about this person seeking retribution or making false claims against you. If they don't mind cheating then they won't mind engaging in other unsavory activities that may ultimately harm you...
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I concur 100%. There's probably little you could do to prove it, and even if you could, the possible negatives outweigh any possible positive outcomes.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    i'd say mind your own business. he'll get his.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is not worth bringing the negative attention upon yourself not to mention the possibility of a lawsuit if that person knows it is you.
  • jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    cheaters never prosper :)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    headshot wrote: »
    What should I do if I know someone cheated for the exam? What can be done and what would you do? Should I mind my own business?

Are you in high school or college? That is not meant to be offensive, but what do you hope to accomplish? How do you KNOW? Really, 'know'? Did you witness the event? And if so, why didn't you say something during the exam to the proctor?

The sitcking point will be the 'how do you KNOW' part. While it might be nice to see cheaters vaporized at the time, that is not how most systems work. The individual who thinks holding a certificate means something when they have no working knowledge to back up that certificate is quickly found out. If they are busting out cert exam after cert exam, the exam centers as well as the vendor offering the exam track this sort of data and if it is something that happened at school...the individual joins the hundreds or thousands of other cheaters who graduate. I've known several of cheaters in my classes, but I cannot 'prove' they cheated, merely know by their confession they did. When they deny it later on, it simply becomes my word against their word. I understand the frustration, but keep in mind you can only control your actions and YOUR integrity is what matters, not theirs. As long as you don't ****, then focus on your own accomplishments!

I'll guess you are talking about IT exam certs, and therefore the proctoring of the exam is left to the test center. The vendor has the option to pull the certificate if it was deteremined they cheated at the time of the exam...if it is someone you work with, their lack of skill and paper cert will shine brightly soon enough. IIRC, most vendors do have a tip line and such, but as I mentioned, where/what is your absolute proof?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did the person **** on his exam? If so, let it be. If he doesn't know the material how can he do the job? Sure he might be able to get a job with the certification but how can he possibly do the job without knowing the material?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    And... Not everyone takes the test the same way you do. Don't forget there are actually people that need special accommodation for the exam because they have a disability that you cannot see with your own eyes. So if you want to rat out on this person, think before you humiliated yourself.
  • Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What if some one does not know the legal aspect of things and does it unknowingly??
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to sound too harsh, but if you're smart enough to study the material then you should be smart enough to read all the rules and format of the exam. Best advice I can give is to verify all your study resources. CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity is a good place to start. Sorry, but it is what it is.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    How did that person cheated? (thinking)
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Help him understand that it's against his own interested. If he doesn't comprehend, just suck it up.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Not to sound too harsh, but if you're smart enough to study the material then you should be smart enough to read all the rules and format of the exam. Best advice I can give is to verify all your study resources. CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity is a good place to start. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the Link and your concern