Options

Your preferred IT training site? Help me out! Overwhelmed.

nxstevennxsteven Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
In need of some advice/help. Recently laid off from work and sharpening my IT skills while I continue to look around is a must. The problem is there are SO many resources I don't know where to start anymore. I'm already A+ and CCNA certified with 5 years of IT experience.

My previous job most directly translates to desktop support of some type. I decided to start out with the 70-640 and I've been watching some videos (not much AD experience though). The problem I'm having is after watching a video and taking notes I'm not questioned or quizzed on what I just watched. I feel like I know the information but how am I to tell? I'm reading it has taken some of the TechExam community 3+ months for this cert/training alone and I'm half way through the videos in a week.

I'm looking for an IT training site that'll be an "all in one" kind of stop for me. Videos, audio, questions/answers, LABS.

I'm very very hands on. Simply reading/watching a video without performing a task just doesn't get any of this information to really stick. Budget is very tight, as you can imagine.

Reading through links on this site I was referred to certguard.com and from there I checked out some of the "bootcamp" section but I don't see the training I'm most familiar with - Trainsignal and CBTNuggets. I checked with QuickCert and the price was great but a quick Google search for reviews wasn't all that hot dating back a few years. I've also checked with Learnsmartsystems and the price was double that of QuickCert but not many reviews at all.

I've begun to get very frustrated and feel like quitting at times. All of these resources are simply overwhelming and I don't want to throw away any money that I don't have!

Cliffs:
- Looking for affordable, online, one-stop-shop for IT training - videos, audio, questions/answers, labs
- Currently thinking about MS certs, 70-640 is what comes to mind immediately.
- Very frustrated with the overwhelming amount of resources and progress I've been making.

Comments

• Options
    luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdvds.com is very cheap compared to the alternatives at $45 a month I think and he even has plans that cost less if you want.
    itfreetraining.com is also another good one.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I use Transcender, Its not free but its a ton of really hard questions that you can learn from, They are usually harder than the actual exams. :) I'm currently using it myself to get past the Comptia Trio. Plus at the end of each exam they give you a pretty decent break down of what you need to study much like the actual exam.

I 2nd the CBTnuggets
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    Do the questions CBT Nuggets questions/answers directly translate to the material in specific videos? For example:

CBT Nuggets 70-640 has DNS broken up in to two videos. Do they have a section of question strictly on those videos?

Think about it being a textbook and at the back of every chapter there's a some questions/answers and a "what you should know" type of thing. Something like an "online classroom"

Looking for a lot of structure, basically.

Thanks for the responses so far.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like TestOut Labsim might be right up your alley. Their courses are a bit pricey (the 70-680 material is $495) but they offer everything you're looking for. They're structured a lot like a classroom--watch a video, read the notes, take a quiz, do a quick lab covering what you just learned in the video. If you're frustrated with just watching videos and not being quizzed on the material you've just covered, Labsim has that. There are practice exams at the end of the course as well.

I can't speak to their efficacy regarding Microsoft exams but I used their product for my Network+ and I found it to be a more useful resource than the actual networking class I was taking at the time. Speaking of which, if you're a student, you can get a hefty discount. You can also get a discount if you e-mail their customer service and butter them up a little, let them know you're an IT pro looking to use their products and that you heard there was a discount for students and they might send you a code. You won't get quite the discount that students do--I was given a code that would let me purchase a single course for $249--but it might be enough for you to consider them. That's only $100 more than the Transcender exam and it includes a lot of content.

There's not a lot of love for them on TE because I think their price point is a little higher than most people are willing to go for, but it might be worth looking into if you are really looking for a one stop shop.
    nxsteven wrote: »
    Think about it being a textbook and at the back of every chapter there's a some questions/answers and a "what you should know" type of thing. Something like an "online classroom"

Looking for a lot of structure, basically.

Definitely look at Testout, then. If you can stomach the price point/get a discount from a nice sales rep, they're exactly what you need. If you want a quick overview of what they cover, here is the PDF version of the 70-680 lesson plan.
  • Options
    I just realized that sounds a lot like I'm shilling for Testout! I just wanted to post a disclaimer that I am in no way affiliated with Testout or their products. I'm just a happy one-time customer.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    If you're going for the MS exams, go buy the MCITP:EA bookset for $100-something dollars, download Oracle VM (free), download Server 2008 R2 180 day free evaluation, and go crazy on it. I'm studying for the 70-640 right now. I just started so if you'd like, I'll be your support system/online study buddy
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First of all panicking is a recipe for disaster.

You have 5 years A+ and the CCNA. (Pretty impressive)

Sounds like you just need to find the right opportunity. Keep looking for jobs and stop wasting time thinking about what cert to get or not to get.
  • Options
    @Iristheangel: I can't seem to PM you. Any other way to contact you?
    @boredgamelad: That appears to be exactly what I was looking for. They also offer a seven day free trial so I can give it a shot at no cost. If I go ahead with it I'll let you know. Thanks again!
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looking for affordable, online, one-stop-shop for IT training - videos, audio, questions/answers, labs
    From what I've seen, sites that claims to do it all will either 1) do it all poorly, or 2) do it all well but at a ridiculous cost.
    If you're going for the MS exams, go buy the MCITP:EA bookset for $100-something dollars, download Oracle VM (free), download Server 2008 R2 180 day free evaluation, and go crazy on it.
    This worked well for me. All the study guides include lab scenarios and practice questions. You can add video training or additional practice tests as needed from the best vendor.

Also I would recommend looking into courses at local community colleges. I've taken some fantastic courses that were a much better experience than any other training I've ever done. And they are fairly cheap, at least in California (even after the latest tuition increase to $36/unit).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Your PMs must be off, OP. You can ask one of the board admins or you can email me at my name @ gmail :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your PMs must be off, OP. You can ask one of the board admins or you can email me at my name @ gmail :)

Need min 10 posts to PM.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□

If you are open to multiple study buddies, I want to tackle my MCTIP after my Sec + which I should be scheduling this summer. Something I have should have done ages ago while getting my degree!
  • Options
    @boredgamelad: That appears to be exactly what I was looking for. They also offer a seven day free trial so I can give it a shot at no cost. If I go ahead with it I'll let you know. Thanks again!

I just checked the $249 promo code I was given to see if it still works and it does. I don't know if it's one time use only, but I have no intention of using it. If you decide you want to go with Testout, send me a PM or e-mail (my username @ Gmail) and it's all yours.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are not currently working I would focus primarily on cheap/free and save money for the exams themselves and possible retakes. I said this multiple times before but when you are out of work in my opinion is the worst time to try and learn new things. Focus primarily on what you know and sharpen that for interviews because what you have experience on is what will probably get you a new job.
  • Options
    cgrimaldo wrote: »
    If you are open to multiple study buddies, I want to tackle my MCTIP after my Sec + which I should be scheduling this summer. Something I have should have done ages ago while getting my degree!

I am totally open to study buddies. I have some good study resources and labs to share. Just PM me and we can do a G+ hangout or something
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    geek12geek12 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I prefer and recommend Transcender.com as a good IT training website.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CBT Nuggets has the advantage of being extremely affordable. If you choose to do their 24-hour pass, you get access to all of their library for $24. Some of the training seems to be lacking... it certainly can not be used as a sole source of studying.

Beyond that, consider "demo" options for other vendors where they may give you access to a chapter, a video, or a subset of study questions.

Don't forget your local library... many even offer options to borrow ebooks, now. Speaking of which, Safari Books Online is a great option for that, as well. I get access to it through UMUC, but I have used it before. They offer a free trial period.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    IndyLovelessIndyLoveless Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On the CBTNuggets 24 hour pass, can I download the videos or can I only access them for 24 hours? I've looked at prices and they all seem way too high for me, but I am intrigued by this.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Negative. They are streaming only... unless you find a recorder (but that is against TOS).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Go4HikeGo4Hike Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just finished a 24-hour subscription to CBT Nugget, so will share my experience. This short subscription is streaming only. On the upside it provides access to all their video training materials if you want to get a feel for other products. The videos I viewed were on average roughy 65% whiteboard & lecture, the remaining 35% demonstration. This varies slightly from video to video. The practice test modules that I reviewed were from Kaplan/Self-Test and Transcender. Practice tests do not match up to the video training specifically (though that would be true in an exam environment too, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.) There are no quizzes during the videos to reinforce learning, and there is no hands on. The information provided was good, but I must have a short attention span as I found my attention drifting. I had technical issues with the practice exams in the on-line environment. If I were to go with this product I would opt for the CD or download and not stream it, however at the price point I am instead looking into other material to reinforce my books & labbing, for example will take a look at ITDVDS.com.