Passed Security +

dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed Security + today with an 822! Time for a few weeks off and then figure out what I want to do next, probably leaning either towards CCENT or Server +.
WGU - B.S. Information Technology
Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)

Comments

• quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz on a good score, CCENT might be a better bet for employment, I don't think the Server+ really carries that much weight, well from my observations anyhow.
    The Wings of Technology
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Add my .02 for CCENT
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done on a good score! I've got my exam next week, I'm also pursuing CCENT once I get Sec+ out of the way. I've already got my materials for that one, trying to keep concentrating on Sec+ though and resist dipping in early.
  • grande25grande25 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey good job! Mind elaborating more on your study strategy? Always good to see how other folks approached the material. I was lucky and had a friend who is an instructor so I got about 30 hours class time with him. The Sybex book was also really good. Then I did about 75 hours in CBTs from the VTE Cert folks at carnegie mellon and also various youtube and Professor Messor vids. Professor Messor is REALLY good.

At first, I was leaning towards more security and going for CISSP but that has changed after talking with an old friend who is now an exec with a prominent telecom in US/Canada/Australia. He suggested CCNA so that is what I'm studying for. I'm not sure if CCENT may be too light for you or if you would should aim to the next step which is CCNA. If you're not sure then you should play it safe. Good luck and congrats!
  • dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. Grande25 basically I just read through Mike Meyers Certification Passport Security + and I of course used the gold standard which is Darril's book. I had just recently taken the Network + test so I still had all that information fresh in my mind as well. I would say I probably put in about 40 hours of study time. As far as my next test goes I think I am actually going to conquer the beast that is MCTS 70-680 while I can still get the student discount.
    WGU - B.S. Information Technology
    Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass dragonshiz. Glad the book helped.

Good luck on the 70-680.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz!!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63