Options

Listing the courses in your major underneath your degree?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
On your resume, if you feel you have taken some courses that might not be obvious in your major is it okay to call them out underneath the degree itself?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I think that could be an iffy. It can take up valuable space in your resume or make it look cluttered. I would say to take the skills you were taught in those classes, from your major, from your certifications, etc and put it under your skills
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe on just-out-of-college resumes, but not for you, my friend. Your experience is much, much more valuable. If you degree has an emphasis, that is worth listing. Individual courses are probably not going to be worth the space they'll take.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Its clutter.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I wouldn't but if it was a concentration that was apart of the degree I would add it. Example
    B.S Information Technology - Security
    Concentration Network Engineer
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Maybe on just-out-of-college resumes, but not for you, my friend. Your experience is much, much more valuable...

I agree...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the replies.

I honestly was on the fence regarding this.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just revamped my resume last month, and I just added all my major classes under my degrees since I'm pretty much in the same situation as these college graduates. I was following several templates I found in this resume-building book specifically for recent college-grads. I plan to post my resumes here as well as my old one for critiques later if I am not having luck finding jobs.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I list my courses, but only because I didn't have full time experience to cite. Soon I'll be taking them off ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    listing what courses you took only helps if your fresh out of school without a lick of experience. i've also seen not only courses but some sort of development/team projects completed in class listed ex: in lab lead team in planning, documenting, developing, testing product.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed. I would only ever list classes if you are a fresh college grad with little or no real world experience. You almost kind of need this as a resume real estate filler anyway. As times goes on remove the college courses and list the skills obtained by those courses and the on job experience.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi