Any one out here to share CBT exam experience?

vin167vin167 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am taking my CISSP - CBT based exam on June 18th in Charlotte.

Vin

Comments

• kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look through my threads. I was the first to talk about mine....However, after reading, if you have any questions that won't violate my Non-Disclosure Agreement, ask away.
  • vin167vin167 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. Your posts were helpful.

I have not seen any scenario based questions in the AIO book and suggestions where to look for practice questions?
    You're not likely to find any scenario based questions out there that are closely related to the test questions. CCcure is a decent way to go, but the exam questions are definitely harder than anything I have ever seen on any practice exams. CCcure was worth the 30 dollars for access to all of their questions, but will only take you so far. Once you answer all of their questions, and start scoring in the 80% range consistently, it can both help you pass, but also hinder you with a false sense of security if you let it.
    Don't fall for test banks out there that offer the world, or anything like it, as they will do you no good other than parting you with your money. Bootcamps like InfoSec and Sans institute and ISC2, or course, offer 'retired' questions near the end of the course, but CBT is much more challenging.
    Of all my posts about the CBT after failing the PBT twice, is that I always had it in the back of my brain during the PBT that no matter how I was doing, I still would not know the answer for up to 6 weeks, and that weighs heavily on one's psyche when the test itself is whipping your tail. WHen I was a good way through the CBT and was again wondering whether I would pass or fail, I found comfort in knowing that I would at LEAST have an answer immediately after the test and THAT helped.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The link below is the only resource I know that contains anything really resembling scenario based questions. This is the last book you want to study before taking the exam. Most questions very much make you think about the problem at hand instead of simple memorization.

You can read my review as well. The book is far from perfect but absolutely helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/111810594X/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

- beads
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Hey Vin, let us know how it went after you take it. I'm actually taking it in August
    I just came after the exam and did not Pass.icon_cry.gif

The exam was very very tough and no clue on some of the questions. I scored 608 and was very confident and hoping that I will pass.
    I recommend reading and understanding your material and Micro level.

I finished in 5 hours and 50 minutes felt the time was short as questions for long and scenerio based. Did not had time to review the questions. Took 3 break less than 5 mins each.

I am going to start working again on this steep hill Journey.
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    vin167 wrote: »
    I just came after the exam and did not Pass.icon_cry.gif

The exam was very very tough and no clue on some of the questions. I scored 608 and was very confident and hoping that I will pass.
    I recommend reading and understanding your material and Micro level.

I finished in 5 hours and 50 minutes felt the time was short as questions for long and scenerio based. Did not had time to review the questions. Took 3 break less than 5 mins each.

I am going to start working again on this steep hill Journey.

Hey Vin did you take the CBT or PBT?
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
    Not to speak for Vin, but he took the CBT. He pretty much just stated what I shared with you gus previously...CBT is HEAVILY scenario based compared to the two PBT's I took. I was changing answers until the clock ran out and MADE me stop. TOUGH test, but obviously passable. I finished the test with 55 minutes to go, and I went BACK and changed a LOT of questions, and I am glad I did.

Vin, DON'T lose heart, and don't take it too personally. Dress your wounds, study hard, save the fact based questions for the flash cards, and try to remember the context and content on those confounded scenario based questions. 608 is a VERY respectable first attempt! I suggest you re-take it as soon as you
    Vin, I posted a lot on this site on purpose, as I try to offer as much as I can to all who try for this test, including the how and why I failed, AND how I managed to pass. Remember, ISC2 unofficially has an expectation that 76 - 80 percent will fail first time out, but that 70% of those who persevere and re-take the test (even two times or more) will pass! $600 is hard to part with...$600 more, stinks even more, but it is more often than not, the price of admission.
    Remember, I am just an average Joe, and I passed this thing.
    Yes....I took CBT, the reason being, as I do not have the patience to wait for 6 weeks.

Thanks Kalkan. I appreciate your kind words and keeping me motivated.
    Yes....I took CBT, the reason being, as I do not have the patience to wait for 6 weeks.

Thanks Kalkan. I appreciate your kind words and keeping me motivated.

Hey vin, whats your INFOSEC experience and what was your prep time before taking the exam?
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
    Hey Tbrays, I have about 10+ years experience in the Telecommunications, Operations security, Access management and BCP/DR. I would say I prepared for almost 4 months (3 hours every single day and more over the weekends).
    Hey Tbrays, I have about 10+ years experience in the Telecommunications, Operations security, Access management and BCP/DR. I would say I prepared for almost 4 months (3 hours every single day and more over the weekends).

Damn! I took the PBT but you just scared me shytless for the CBT which I have scheduled for the 28th
    I don't mean to frighten you, I just shared my experience and every individual is different some grasp fast and some do slow and I am the slow guy.

Also the good part is that CBT date can be changed 24 hours prior to the exam for 20 dollar fee. See if you need more time then go ahead and change it.

Good luck!
    I don't mean to frighten you, I just shared my experience and every individual is different some grasp fast and some do slow and I am the slow guy.

Also the good part is that CBT date can be changed 24 hours prior to the exam for 20 dollar fee. See if you need more time then go ahead and change it.

Good luck!

Oh I will, lol, no doubt about that!
  • trsstrss Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

My first time positing on this forum although I have been a regular here for a few months now. I wanted to share my experience with CISSP. I originally started studying for CISSP in Apr. 2011 and planned to take it in Oct. 2011 but after finishing all my studying, I wasn't able to take the exam (PBT at the time) due to job relocation.

I started studying again in Feb. 2012 and targeted for May 2012 but decided to postpone by a few weeks to take advantage of the CBT, so my experience is purely based on the CBT.

SO, I took my CBT today at 8 AM (woke up at 5 AM after sleeping for 3 hours due to excitement and exam anxiety). I finished my exam in 3.5 hours and spent the next 1.5 hours reviewing all my questions and making adjustments. This was one of the most difficult exam I have taken, EVER. While, I felt I was well prepared for the exam (read Shon's AIOG twice, 11th hour, SSI Logic Practice quizzes and CCCure quizzes), the exam completed obliterated me.

BUT, I passed :) I largely credit my prior job experience but the questions were extremely confusing and nothing compared to CCCure quizzes. There were quite a few very wordy scenario based questions. I wouldn't recommend spending money on the SSI Logic 1000 practice questions because it has very basic information. Although, it will help you remember facts (e.g. classes of fires, requirements for reference monitor, etc.). CCCure practice questions are the closest to the real exam but still the actual exam questions are really hard.

Good luck and all the best to all who are planning to take the exam.
    Congrats trss. Glad you posted. You verified what the rest of us know: that passing is one of the hardest things to do in life. AND that unless you are really lucky, or you're a Mensa Member WITH a photographic memory, this test will require you to dig deep into your experience and your months of studying ahead of time.
    Congratulations trss!!! Great job!!!
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    Oh I will, lol, no doubt about that!

Yeah I think I'm going to be on this boat as well. 20 spot is better than a retest.
    Hey Famili

1)One question at a time on screen
    2)Yes - you can mark for review
    3)You should be able to see the question marked for review in one screen. I think it shows about 50 questions on one screen. Don't recall exactly.
  • PappycPappyc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Help me out here.. please ... I am taking my CISSP exam on the 10th of Oct. I have been studying since Aug 28th finished reading this book.. CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide and just finished today a course through Global Knowledge... I tried taking some questions or should I say sample questions thru cccure and only got 4 out of 10 right. NOT GOOD! I can't push this exam any further...so I am asking for your help.. in passing.. what are good things to get for exam a course in secureninja??? or what test based exam should i buy??? Please let me know I am very dedicated.. very dedicated when I go for things.. I work hard to try and accomplish things.. but reading these posts is telling me that it will not be easy... any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks everyone.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Since this is completely off topic I would open a new thread to discuss your situation.
  • Ragster12Ragster12 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pappyc...

have you been the (ISC)2 website and read anything about the CISSP exam and the (ISC)2 requirements? Like many others who have posted here, I have passed my exam just last week. Atleast I, will not divulge any relationship between commercially bought questions/answers to the actual exam. I just read down this string and everything you need is here. I will say this: You mentioned the start of your studies/preparation as the 28th of August with a scheduled exam date of 10 October. You have not given yourself enough time to prepare. The actual exam is very comprehensive and unless you have a deep understanding of how the domains are intertwined then the results will not be favorable.

Let me make sire this point is clear: DO NOT rely on commercially bought quizzes or anything website claiming to have questions from the exam.

The Shon Harris AIO book is a all-inclusive book. Although a bit wordy at times a good resource
    The Shon Harris CISSP Certification Video Seminar series is also good
    I found the CISSP Study Guide, 2nd Edition, by Eric Conrad to be a great book. Easy to read, flow was great.
    Go to an office supply store and buy a stack of notepads and a crap load of pens/pencils and take notes.
    Make flash cards for the easy stuff....class of fire extinguishers, sprinkler systems, CIA triad, Algorithm names and association to Sym/Asym...etc.

Good Luck. The exam is passable 1st time out but only if the right preparation has been made.