Options

Putting CCNA on hold

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Haven't posted an updated, however wanted to let everyone know that I'm going to put my CCNA plans on hold at this time.
I'm having quite a bit of issues trying to understand the Boson Exams, which is leading to alot of frustration on my part and burnout. A couple of friends have recommended taking the summer off from studying.

Once I return to the US, I will take either a bootcamp or Cisco Network Academy to finally nail this cert.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend any other certs to start studying towards. I was looking at the CISSP and maybe a SANS cert.

I'm want that cert that says that this person is beyond the help desk/desktop support.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the next cert depends on the path you want to take and your interests. CISSP or GIAC (they're not "SANS" certifications as SANS just provides the training; GIAC handles the certification) has been discussed quite a bit already and they both serve different needs.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with your friend. Take the summer off and relax, maybe incorporate some light reading.

I like your bootcamp plan when you get back to the states.

IMO your masters says you are past the help desk, but as far as a certification goes, something server or network would do the trick. Doc had some good suggestions too.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I don't know about taking the summer off. I understand getting wound up and needing to take a break and cool off, but it doesn't take an entire summer. Also, studying something different when you've already started the CCNA seems like a bad idea. Cool off, then go back to the CCNA and repeat until you understand it. Its not just going to magically happen. Some sections take more effort than others. The only way you will learn it and know it is through repetition.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too am putting ICND2 on hold for a little while. I'm getting married in a month and have a month full of preparations. Though, I am still studying, but very lightly. I'm still reading everyday for about an hour or so and I'm also listening to CBT Nuggets whenever I drive to/from work. I also travel a lot for my job so I'm listening to them for about 4/8 hours per week. I do feel as though I'm ready for the ICND2, but I don't want to add to the stress that I already have.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    If you're reading an hour a day, listening 4-8hrs a week of lecture, and watching videos while "on hold" I want to see your schedule when actually studying.
  • Options
    It's more like 3 - 4 hours reading per night and 8 hours on Saturday/Sunday labbing, reading and watching videos.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Maybe you're putting too much stress on yourself to know everything. Maybe, find different ways to interact with the material? make posters, record yourself giving lectures on the topics etc.

There is a good quote I remember, "when you are at 95%, you're 50% there" . You are probably closer than you think! :)
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Pert

Whats wrong with taking 3 months off? icon_scratch.gif That's really weird to think 3 months off is unacceptable.
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Haven't posted an updated, however wanted to let everyone know that I'm going to put my CCNA plans on hold at this time.
    I'm having quite a bit of issues trying to understand the Boson Exams, which is leading to alot of frustration on my part and burnout. A couple of friends have recommended taking the summer off from studying.

Once I return to the US, I will take either a bootcamp or Cisco Network Academy to finally nail this cert.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend any other certs to start studying towards. I was looking at the CISSP and maybe a SANS cert.

I'm want that cert that says that this person is beyond the help desk/desktop support.

I really hate to hear you are taking time off. But if you feel you must, then you must. As we have chatted before it has beeen long road of studying for me as well. I am labbing more and more daily and feel like learning daily.
    I think the Cisco Network Academy is better. i tried the boot camp and think they fly through alot of information quickly without giving you time to grasp it. Just my personal opinion. So back away for moment until you are ready to dive in again.
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    It's more like 3 - 4 hours reading per night and 8 hours on Saturday/Sunday labbing, reading and watching videos.

For ICND2? I know guys who does what you do, but they're preparing for the CCIE lab. I don't think there's enough material in ICND2 for you to be reading 3-4 hours a night, and 8 hours on the weekend icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    m3zilla wrote: »
    For ICND2? I know guys who does what you do, but they're preparing for the CCIE lab. I don't think there's enough material in ICND2 for you to be reading 3-4 hours a night, and 8 hours on the weekend icon_lol.gif
    Probably so. I don't usually do that many hours during the weekend, that's my maximum. I think with the cut down I should be able to retain more information rather than just reading chapter after chapter each night. It seems to be sticking a lot better this way. :)
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    THA_DOC wrote: »
    I really hate to hear you are taking time off. But if you feel you must, then you must. As we have chatted before it has beeen long road of studying for me as well. I am labbing more and more daily and feel like learning daily.
    I think the Cisco Network Academy is better. i tried the boot camp and think they fly through alot of information quickly without giving you time to grasp it. Just my personal opinion. So back away for moment until you are ready to dive in again.

The last few days, I've been subnetting again and fired up GNS3. Also looking at a few Cisco websites.

Believe me, there is nothing more than I want then to knock this cert out, and I appreciate the words of encouragement that you sent to me earlier this year.

I'll eventually get this, it is just taking time...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown