Options

Having a hard time with subnetting

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys, subnetting is sinking in really slowly for me is there anything you would recommend for the process to sink it quicker? Do you guys know what type of questions Cisco will ask that will involve subnetting on the CCENT exam so I can prepare so I'm not caught off guard??

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read through this thread. http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

This, along with Todd Lammle's and CBT Nuggets helped me out a lot.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    you should do as many questions as you can,you will be ready for any kind of questions
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    CBT Nuggets video on subnetting is fantastic. As for the types of questions, 255.255.240.0 how many host and network address can be made using this mask. Or "a network needs x hosts and x subnets, what subnet mask should they use".

Or you will have an ip address and /bit notation. You might have to find out that hosts network address or broadcast address.
    You might have a diagram with a bunch of computers and a router, there might be comnectivity problems. You might need to check if the host and default gateway are on different subnets.

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online I did this for 2 hours the day before my exam.

Once you understand subnetting it is so easy =)
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies guys :)
  • Options
    chaddsukchaddsuk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Once you have the concept down go to subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and just keep firing off new questions, its one of those things that just take practice and once you have it your away!

I also made a subnetting for exams video on Youtube which may be helpful to you once you have the concepts down...

Subnetting Made Easy - CCNA exam method - Magic number NEW VLSM - YouTube

Hope that helps
    A+
    Network +
    CCENT
    CCNA
    Windows 2003 server MCP
    Windows XP MCP

2nd Line NOC Support Engineer (2 years)
  • Options
    techexamschristechexamschris Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I used You Tube's, "Danscourses" for CCNA subnetting parts 1-6, and subnetting VLSM part 1 and 2. Subnetting Cisco CCNA -Part 1 The Magic Number - YouTube Extremely good explainations. I also used subnettingquestions.com. After watching these video and doing the subnettingquestions.com I could subnet anything fast, easy and in my head for most of the problems.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Jas21Jas21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Read through this thread. http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

This, along with Todd Lammle's and CBT Nuggets helped me out a lot.

^ that thread is the single greatest Subnetting 'thing' ever! That made it go 'click' more than anything else!

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    like everyone said, go through the Subnetting Made Easy thread, learn the formula, then practice at subnettingquestions.com. get yourself a small whiteboard and a dry erase marker and drill, drill, drill... eventually it will click and you'll be like, wow, i can't believe it's not butter.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    like everyone said, go through the Subnetting Made Easy thread, learn the formula, then practice at subnettingquestions.com. get yourself a small whiteboard and a dry erase marker and drill, drill, drill... eventually it will click and you'll be like, wow, i can't believe it's not butter.
    That's exactly what I did. The whiteboard definitely helped out a lot, too.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like above, practice practice practice.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.