Options

How old is everyone?

Comments

• Options
    rstarrettrstarrett Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    43. I have 5 yrs. of experience, A+, Network+ certified. I'm currently studying for 70-210. I will finish school in the fall of 2005. Major is in Information Technology Network Administration.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Me, I turned 23 on June 10th. I have an Associates Degree in Computer Network Systems Technology.
    I have been working as a Systems Administrator for the last 3.5 years. Before that I was a Network Analyst & Bench Tech. I have a Network+ and MCP (70-270) certifications…I recently started my certification track this spring which will bring me to my MCSE within a year and CCNA shortly.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think my timer dinged last week again, which would make me around 27. Someday, I'll get around to fininshing MCSA and MCDST, and then get in somewhere. Cisco is my long, long term career plan.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Well, I just turned the big 30 recently. icon_cool.gif That means I am getting wiser....haha I wish that were true..It seems the more I learn, the more I realize how much I really don't know. It's actually pretty scary. I am also enrolled in college full time. I am playing catch up after a 6 year all expenses paid vacation around the world (well two places) courtesy of "Uncle Sam". :D
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    33, Some college, some time off, more college, then a cert crash course, my MCP for w2kpro, my MCSA for w2k, my A+ and hopefully soon my net+, then my CCNA and we'll see after that. Now have two years work experience, the last at my current job where I get lots of diversity. Everything from new builds (hardware and software) to wireless between buildings.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    22 and hung like a horse icon_cool.gif
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    31 icon_rolleyes.gif
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    orion82698 wrote:
    22 and hung like a horse icon_cool.gif

lol hung like a walrus here.
  • Options
    felix7felix7 Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm right in the middle at 26.

I've got a BSC and now starting to build up my certifications which should come in handy when I look for a new job soon.
  • Options
    pmannpmann Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, so Im not the oldest :D , just the 2nd oldest icon_sad.gif

I'm 110001 (sounds better than 49).
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    cheeblie wrote:
    I'm curious as to how old each of you are and what kind of educational background each of you have. Personally, I am 19 and only have a high school degree with very little college experience. I have absolutely no work experience, and I am teaching myself all of the skills required to pass these certifications. In the near future I plan on acquiring MCSE with an emphasis on security and possibly CCNA & CCNP. My main interest is in IT security, and in the future I plan to go for CISSP or related higher level security certification. If you read this post please tell a little about your background and future goals, because I would be interested in knowing some of the people that visit this board.

Thanks,
    Cheeblie

I am currently 30 years old...My plans are to be a Quadruple CCIE with a Masters Degree in Information Security, before I turn 35. :D
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i change my goal...
    my new goal is to become like Ten9t6 at age of 30 :)
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    This thread is very old icon_cry.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    Just turned 26 June 30th. Been married 3 years, wife is 22 years old, no kids. Have 5 years experience in IT, 1 year doing commercial satelitte systems and 4 years at my current job as a network administrator. Going to school now for 2 Associate degrees in networking. Currently studying for A+ hardware and XP Pro certs.

My wife is currently waiting to hear if she is accepted into LSU's school of nursing, about 350 apply each semester and only 80 get in. She is currently an LPN working toward her BSN in RN.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    This thread is very old icon_cry.gif
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    knowlwkknowlwk Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I remember correctly, I'm 36. B.S. in Biology, 60 or 70 graduate hours in Ecology, 3.5 years as a gunner on an M1A1 Abrams tank, 2 or 3 years teaching as a Naturalist at a natural history park, just over 4 paid years as a technician with a small computer shop dealing mostly with small businesses in a 200 mile radius or so.

Customers often ask where I went to school to learn computers.. my reply is "I didn't, but I've spent roughly 15000 hours breaking and fixing them over the last 10 years or so". I picked up my A+ in '99, Net+ in '01, and am about to start security+ if I we can ever get ahead of the spyware onslaught long enough to get any studying done.... icon_cool.gif
    PC/Networking issues are frustrating, but it beats working for a living...
  • Options
    KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    37 here.

Spent so many years playing with computers for fun that a few years back I decided to make them my career. Went back to college in 2001. I've almost completed a diploma in Information Systems Administration and have held a number of temporary full time IT jobs as part of my college's cooperative education program. Just got my A+ and in the next year I plan to finish my diploma and add a bunch of certs starting with the Network+ and Security+. Also want to get a start on an MS cert sometime in the next while. I'm aiming for a combination of education, experience, and certification.
  • Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    I am 31 and have been in IT for 5yrs.

Have recently passed MCSE, and am looking for a new job in Scotland. Any offers ???
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    bjuarbebjuarbe Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im 18/M/NY finishing up associate degree in Computer Network Operations and have A+,Net+ and I-net+. Currently working as computer technican at Best Buy/Geek Squad.
    Theres JUSToneBOBBY!
  • Options
    jagcatjagcat Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    57 and a grandad

Have allways been interested in computers and having been self taught over the years.

Took up the A+ core hardware and core OS at part time college.

Enjoying it. If I pass this I was thinking about networking or security next !!!
    "Do or do not there is no try" --- Yoda The Empire Strikes Back ---
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome jagcat

Boy am I glad I'm not like the oldest here anymore icon_bounce.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the forum, jagcat! Go for it all!

I'm 58 and havin' a ball with this IT stuff!

Oh, yes, I've 4 grandchildren. They're the greatest.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    58! janmike, I never thought someone that old was around.

How many years have you been in the field?
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    I determined in Jannuary, 2002 to pursue IT employment. I was laid off by a highway construction contractor December, 2000 and received a letter from him in Feb., 2001 that I wouldn't be called back--he retired and closed the doors. Decided I would not go back to that line of work.

I had picked up some experience maintaining PCs in field offices and keeping my own PC going in the home office. I used to canabalize old field office PCs to keep mine going. I had read a few books on PC repair about 8 years ago. Always been interested in what's in the box--ham radio operator years ago & liked to build things.

Late 2002, saw a book on a bookstore shelf that said something about "A+", went home and did a Google search on the same, next thing I'm like jagcat, I'm taking A+ classes in a local state college. Today my A+ instructor is a co-worker. He is the best-certified person that I know personally(MCSE:Security).

I learned enough from those A+ classes to get my Network+ too.

So, I'm somewhat of a newbie, but I'm getting older. Guess I just finally decided what I want to be when I grow up.
  • Options
    Hey janmike.

See that you was in the construction industry, same as myself.

In the Roofing industry for 32 years (still am in fact).

Have messed about with PCs for many years, started with an Amstrad that only had a 20mb HD.

Did a course in programing four years ago (Pascal)

Then went on to web site design, part time college for 2 years.

Then decied to do the A+ certification hardware and OS last summer, really enjoying it.

I am taking the core hardware exam next week.

Bob[/img]
  • Options
    theICEtheICE Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey i am 25 but feel older lol, i have been around computers all my life but did not decide to pursue this career till after i got laid off from a company that made fiberoptic cable. So i decided that i should do what i am best at and thats dealing with computers.
  • Options
    Hey jagcat,

I was in engineering and surveying layout--reading plans, setting stakes for grades & drainage, boundary surveys(kept us on site at least). At the last I was estimating highway and bridge construction/repair projects, project management, and some supervision.

Well my first PC was 80MHZ AMD w/850 MB HDD and 16 MB RAM--a real monster at the time! At least for home computing. I still have it. It was bigger than the machines I used at work!

Before I headed out for certifications, I tasted some of the different programing languages just to get a feel for things but didn't follow any course at school. It was fun, but I got turned to hardware and OSs and Networks and I think I'll continue in that direction.

I'm working in a data center at a hospital now--still in training, but those kids that are training me are great. The oldest except for me is a young fellow of 53.

Hang around this site, Bob. And soak up the brain power of these people. They are a good group.

Again, welcome!
  • Options
    Yeah certainly will janmike.

Have been browsing the forum in between cramming for my A+ core hardware, which is next Tuesday.

Have been doing a few practice exams as well, which I had on disc. Realised that I could do with more so that is how I came upon TechExams.Net

Did the practice exam on this site as well, could do with a few more for Saturday and Sunday evening, then I shall sit down with my books Sunday night and brush up on a few sections that require to be brushed up on. Monday night I may just chill.

Bobbanghead.gif
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Hmm.. i'm surprised I didnt join this thread when it started last summer...

I'm now 35, landed on this board just over a year ago when I decided to get serious about A+. I passed O/S on 7/17/03 after completing Hardware 3 weeks previous (I just happened to pull out my card yesterday).

In September I landed my first IT related position-- a one week contract for the Navy Marines. I met a couple guys there that I still stay in touch with. Was paid $11/hr and was thrilled to pieces (the others made $12 because they had experience). Late October I was contacted to do a weekend project for CNA (insurance company). They offered me $17.50/her and I nearly fell over. I turned a couple guys from the Navy project onto this as well. One of them reciprocated by setting me up for a position the Monday following. It paid $15/hr and was a three month contract replacing 9x machines with 2k boxes. I was asked to stay on to handle new PC installations, equipment moves, printers, etc etc... Been there ever since, making $25/hour. The only catch is that when there is no specific work for me then I don't get paid. As the scale goes, I get 2 hours for desktops, 4 for laptops. 2 hours for printers. Equipment moves are by the hour with one hour minimun. Being told I would be hired on permanently when a position opened I kinda settled into my role. When a Desktop Administrator slot came available two months ago, I submitted my resume per company procedure and didnt even get an interview. I realized then that A+ wasn't enough to get me where I wanted to be. Last week I scheduled my first MS exam.

I still pick up side work (I set up a hardware router and VoIP phones a couple weeks ago; next weekend I have to refresh the Dell Kiosks at two malls). Obviously I want a permanent position somewhere. Though it is nice-- last week I billed 39 hours and the week before 38-- contracting is not job security. I figure next summer I will have nearly two years in with the company and MCSA or MCSE under my belt and things will look better. Until then I continue on and hit the books. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Jagcat, by all means, take a little chill time. Comes a time that you've crammed enough and the old greymatter needs a chance to recoup.

Best of luck on Tuesday, Bob.

lazyart,

My first paying IT job was Navy/Marine Corp deployment, imaging, building and the like. I worked for a contractor on that one for 2 months.
    It was good experience. I'm doing a lot of the same things now at my present job.