Options

Next step after Security+

ttishttish Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, i was wondering if i could get some suggestions for the next step. i have little experience in IT so i was looking into CCENT or maybe a microsoft cert. I do plan on making IT security my profession. any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, what do you want to secure? Networks? Then CCNA will be a great place to start. To secure a technology, you will first need a deep understanding of that technology.
  • Options
    I currently work for a medium size bank with 60+ locations. We have a Windows AD environment with all the fun network devices linking everything together. I'm not responsible for securing our environment but i would like to start working towards understanding all that goes into the task. I think I'll need at least CCNA, MCITP, CEH, SSCP, and CISSP. I want to know if anyone has some suggestions for where to start.

Thanks in advance. :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depending on how much you already know and what you plan to do later you should set up some type of study plan. If your network knowledge is limited then you should at least study for the Net+ first. Whether you actually take the test or not is irrelevant as the Net+ carries little weight but the knowledge you gain will carry you far. You should then get an operating system test and even if you don't go into networking study for the CCNA as you will learn a lot. If you get bit by the network bug then take the CCNA and follow the Cisco path.
    Don't forget to always stay current and not to limit yourself by studying only one area. Keep current in all areas of IT as technologies change you must change with them or you'll be stuck playing catch up farther down the road.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I have already taken college courses for A+ software/hardware and CCENT but I haven't taken the exam yet. I think i'll start with the CCENT and continue to a windows server certification. I appreciate the suggestions.
  • Options
    DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Net+ is not a bad place to start. However you won't pick up any practical knowledge from that. Get as much hands-on expereince as you can and talk to as many sys/net admins as possible. Unless you can get experience with the equipment I would hold off on the CCNA for now.