Options

Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA)

s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone have this certification? Is this worth getting. I ask because I start a Database Development class on Thursday that will focuse on SQL. Not sure what version this will be, but I figure if I am already going to be discussing this stuff. Why not go all the way!

I have seen this certification posted on job ads a couple of times, but not as much as I've seen the MCSE. Just wondering if this will be worth my time.

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Probably not unless you really want to get involved with databases. If you're taking the class because it's part of a degree, or if you just want a solid foundation, I would personally take the class and possibly pick up a book, rather than taking all those exams for the MCDBA cert.

Then again, if you really enjoy the class and enjoy working with databases, I would say go for it.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I agree with /user. Don't go for a cert cuz it looks good on your resume. Go for it because it's what you are doing or wish to do in the future.

I know of a friend who spent --and still spends-- his time contemplating between the easiness of A+, the popularity of MCSE, the combersomeness of CCNA, the attractiveness of taking 9 exams and getting an MCSA/MCSE/MCDBA... he never made it to any of them.

Set your target... focus... aim...shoot.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    /usr wrote:
    Probably not unless you really want to get involved with databases. If you're taking the class because it's part of a degree, or if you just want a solid foundation

If you find that you get a job doing software support(thats what Im doing but its paying the bills) or Quality Assurance, then I would say go for it since you will mainly be dealing with a lot of SQL issues, running scripts, restores, creating databases, etc...those jobs can lead eventually with more education(certs) or on the job training into a jr developer.
    What next?
  • Options
    True, but 2 of the exams for the MCDBA cross over to the MCSA, and three of them cross over the MCSE. This is the only reason I am really considering it. I will probably take the two exams anyways (a core nos and a sql elective) since these work on all those certs and from there see if it's something I want to continue with.

Ofcourse I also see knowledge of SQL or at least some foundation in database adminsitration as pretty vital to my future career path.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    s0c0 wrote:
    True, but 2 of the exams for the MCDBA cross over to the MCSA, and three of them cross over the MCSE. This is the only reason I am really considering it.

I agree with 2lbs and /urs.

While it is nice to have certifications, I am not nor have been a fan of merely getting a cert for the future, "Maybe one day I'll use it".

If you GOAL is to really obtain an MCSE and Actually work as a systems engineer, than by all means - Go for it!

If you want the cert because it sounds like a good idea....that's not a much different than the paper-MSCE's that are already out in the job market.

BTW-I'm not indicating this APPLIES to you, but rather this is MY opinion of gathering certs when one doesn't plan to work in a particular area.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Working on MS Server O.S. does not excite me like working on Cisco device, FreeBSD servers, and Linux systems does, but it is highly likely that I will need these skills in order to perform an important job function. MS Server's are the number 1 servers for end-user administration in a domain, while samba/ldap can be used to accomplish this goal. It is not very prevelant and frankly it's a pain in the ass. So getting my MCSA at the least is important to me. By no means do I want to get an MCx cert to fill up space on my resume or just because it looks good. I just see it as a vital IT skill/cert.