What Certification should i go for next?

HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I need advice on what Cert. I should go for next? I just took the CISA and have a Masters degree in Information Systems.

I work as an Auditor now but not sure if i want to keep being one (In my 2nd year as an Auditor).

What are the most popular Certs out there?
«1

Comments

  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's like asking what kind of car you should buy. What do you want to do with your life?
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol im just wondering what are some popular certs that are in demand?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CCIE, CISSP, VCP. Kind of a pointless list to have though. You should be looking for certifications that will help you achieve your goals as phoeneous pointed out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well the OP certainly won't be going for CCIE or CISSP next. I agree though, you need to find out what you like to do first.

    Networking: CCENT as a starting point, and CCNA if you want to break into networking
    Security: Security+ is a low level certification that might help you decide if you have an interest in security

    Microsoft: Any help here? It would be easy for me to say "get your MCITP: EA", but that's not exactly a starting point.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Well the OP certainly won't be going for CCIE or CISSP next. I agree though, you need to find out what you like to do first.

    CCIE doesn't have any pre-req, so technically OP could go for it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    What do you mean by "I work as an auditor?" What do you audit? Security policies? System configurations? Change management practices? Network performance standards? Security logs? The quality of the food that is served in the company dining hall?
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    CCIE doesn't have any pre-req, so technically OP could go for it.

    Right - I didn't say the OP wasn't permitted to take the exam. The OP didn't say he has years and years of networking experience or any Cisco certifications, so I applied common sense.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    You should probably just take a course in MS Publisher. Then you can create your own certificates and hang them all over your cubicle. A lot cheaper than certification tests if you don't know what you want to do. But same pizazz in your workspace icon_thumright.gif
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    You should probably just take a course in MS Publisher. Then you can create your own certificates and hang them all over your cubicle. A lot cheaper than certification tests if you don't know what you want to do. But same pizazz in your workspace icon_thumright.gif

    Best cert idea ever!!!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HR8886 wrote: »
    lol im just wondering what are some popular certs that are in demand?

    In demand for what field? Like others have said, not all certs apply to every field. If you're going to continue auditing, have you looked at SANS stuff yet?
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    In demand for what field? Like others have said, not all certs apply to every field. If you're going to continue auditing, have you looked at SANS stuff yet?

    i wanted to get into a database position but i got pulled into IT Auditing (dont hate it, just hate the report writing part becuz the process isn't great at my job)

    How about the CISSP ?
  • IristheangelIristheangel CCIEx2 (Sec + DC), CCNP RS, CCNA V/S/R/DC, CISSP, CEH, MCSE 2003, A+/L+/N+/S+, and a lot more from m Pasadena, CAMod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    A CISSP will be pretty ineffective in getting you a database position
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A CISSP will be pretty ineffective in getting you a database position

    No longer going for database jobs
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ok so the million dollar question is what are you going for? If you want to stay in the security/auditing field then I think CISSP is a good choice.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • IristheangelIristheangel CCIEx2 (Sec + DC), CCNP RS, CCNA V/S/R/DC, CISSP, CEH, MCSE 2003, A+/L+/N+/S+, and a lot more from m Pasadena, CAMod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Like others asked, what are you looking to do with your life? The answer to which certifications are in demand would be relevant on your answer to that question.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whats the best Security cert to take ?

    CISSP? does that have pre-reqs?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HR8886 wrote: »
    Whats the best Security cert to take ?

    CISSP? does that have pre-reqs?

    Not much. Simple Google search yields: https://www.isc2.org/cissp-how-to-certify.aspx.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Not much. Simple Google search yields: https://www.isc2.org/cissp-how-to-certify.aspx.

    thanks !
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You still haven't answered what everyone is asking you... What do you want to do for a career?
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635
    HR...you need to figure out what interests you outside of auditing...security..and CISSP. Ask yourself what would be your ultimate goal/job? Do you wanna make more money...of course...all of us do. You just gotta figure out what skills set/experience you have now, and where do you want to go with that.

    Once you answer that question, we might be able to help you better.
  • Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your wanting to get into Databases....... than the Microsoft SQL Server Certifications and/or Oracle Certifications would lead you in the right path if you want to do DBA work.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    HR...you need to figure out what interests you outside of auditing...security..and CISSP. Ask yourself what would be your ultimate goal/job? Do you wanna make more money...of course...all of us do. You just gotta figure out what skills set/experience you have now, and where do you want to go with that.

    Once you answer that question, we might be able to help you better.

    in the future , i would like to be a Project Manager or Director of some sort.
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wilson502 wrote: »
    If your wanting to get into Databases....... than the Microsoft SQL Server Certifications and/or Oracle Certifications would lead you in the right path if you want to do DBA work.

    which of the two is more popular?
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HR8886 wrote: »
    in the future , i would like to be a Project Manager or Director of some sort.

    Not off to a very good start.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483
    You are kind of all over the place. It's hard to get a read on which direction you want to go.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the OP is only interested in certs that will give him instant high-paying salary. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    You are kind of all over the place. It's hard to get a read on which direction you want to go.

    Its worse than that. OP is asking very basic questions that can be answered by googling, poking around a tech forum or asking Siri.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    You are kind of all over the place. It's hard to get a read on which direction you want to go.

    Clearly the OP doesn't know where he/she wants to go. Sounds to me like the OP would like a list of random buzzwords to throw on a resume'.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483
    @ Dave I agree

    I was just trying to be PC. .......I agree very weak questions that can easily be queried on Google.
Sign In or Register to comment.