Options

How to setup home lab for CCENT with GNS3?

chiggahchiggah Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys

I am unable to afford the equipment hence I'm wanting to setup a home lab for CCENT exam with GNS3.

Are there any tutorials or guides available which walks me through everything I am required to know ?

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you looked at the website for GNS3 yet? They have some pretty extensive docs and forums on how to get it going.

Graphical Network Simulator - GNS3
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    youtube it bro! make sure you have an IOS image available, preferably a 3600 or 3700 series. the 2600 rotuers are kinda finicky.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    chiggahchiggah Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The main thing is I am not sure what router/IOS to use or how my topology should look like.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    I wouldn't worry about what router or IOS to use - at least not for CCENT topologies. I'd say use anything that is most stable. In my experience some IOS images are more stable on GNS3 than others. Just try out what you can.

As far as topologies, use two routers and connect them to each other and practice your protocols. Otherwise I also like to lab out as many topologies as I can. Mainly I like to use the example topologies in whatever book I'm reading; lab it out and try to practice the commands and get used to reading the various output I get.

Good luck in your studies.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Jas21Jas21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd highly recommend the labs detailed in the downloadable PDF at subnet192.com - replicate these in PT or GNS3

I'm not affiliated in any way, but found them very helpful

cheers
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    freeccnaworkbook.com is a great series of labs that include installing and configuring GNS3.