Options

Question about applying for IT jobs

mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
I have experience in the IT field. I've been a Computer Service Technician for 8 years. Just got my bachelors in Computer Systems I have my A+, Network +, security+ and just achieved my CCNA certification. I'm now looking to move on. I have accounts with Dice and Monster. They have recommended some jobs but when I look at them, some of the responsibilitiesand skills mentioned I'm not familiar with. My question is do some of you guys still apply for jobs even though you don't fit all of skills required for that job?

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Of course!

The skills they post are just a wish list of the ideal candidate. If you can do a fair amount of what they list, I wouldn't hesitate to apply.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The posting for my last job indicated required knowledge on some IBM SAN replicating thing that I've never heard about. When I was interviewed I inquired as to what level of knowledge they were expecting as i knew some EMC. It turned out it was an oversight from HR and it wasn't suposed to be there.

If you meet most of the requirements do not worry, just go ahead and apply. Now, if you are a tier 1 helpdesk guy with just 3 months experience and the position is for an IT manager, that's another story.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Absolutely still apply!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    Thanks for the replies. This has been holding me back from applying for a lot of jobs.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tackle wrote: »
    Of course!

The skills they post are just a wish list of the ideal candidate. If you can do a fair amount of what they list, I wouldn't hesitate to apply.

this right here is exactly right.
  • Options
    MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    APPLY. I just started a position that I thought I would never get. And as a bonus it has an increase of 33% in salary
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Yes, you definitely still have to apply; just because you might not fit all the qualifications but you still might match up well with what they want.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tackle wrote: »
    Of course!

So if he does apply for the fair amount of task that he can in this ideal list, what about the task that he cannot do? Do employers give the job ? I'm also confronted in that situation and sometimes though my experience i tend to see in fact that i become at a lost because employers expect so much :-/