Options

So I got 762 for ICND2.....here are my issues with the exam

ricky8ricky8 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
for those studying for icnd2, are are my thoughts

i just failed icnd2 the for the second time now. the first time i failed (560) it was my fault i could have been more prepared. the second time around i felt ready but i failed again by 4 questions with a 762 this time. a passing score is 825.

here are some issues i have about the exam.
  1. show commands. i had maybe 10 RANDOM multiple choice show commands that weren't even related to the topics. so for those writing this exam you guys better study A LOT of random show commands, even those not in the CCNA/icnd1/icnd2 course. for example i had a multiple choice question asking "what is the show command used to show a cisco switch's file system on a 2950 switch" or something along those lines. the point is, the question is completely random and i dont know why they would even ask a question like that.
  2. multiple choice. there can be 2-3 correct answers but the question asks for only one. so you have to take a guess at the best possible answer and hope you guessed right.

i believe the reason i failed was because of all those multiple choice show command questions. i basically guessed on all of them since i had no clue.

if anyone wants more detail about the exam give me a PM.

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ricky8 wrote: »
    the second time around i felt ready but i failed again by 4 questions with a 762 this time. a passing score is 825.

here are some issues i have about the exam.

i believe the reason i failed was because of all those multiple choice show command questions. i basically guessed on all of them since i had no clue.

if anyone wants more detail about the exam give me a PM.

This is a multiple choice test - so you enter knowing that it'll be multiple choice. Also, why wouldn't you need to know the switches file system? That's not random considering the exam is on switches and routers.

And I believe you're breaking NDA by posting that question, along with willing to tell people to PM you to reveal more questions.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    This is a multiple choice test - so you enter knowing that it'll be multiple choice. Also, why wouldn't you need to know the switches file system? That's not random considering the exam is on switches and routers.

And I believe you're breaking NDA by posting that question, along with willing to tell people to PM you to reveal more questions.

i have several ccna/icnd2 books and none of them bother mentioning anything about knowing a router/switches filesystem. and that was just one of several show commands that were asked that were unrelated..

also i never said i was going to reveal anything.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I don't recall any file system related stuff in the ICND2 study guides, but definitely on ICND1 and any book for the composite should mention it.

Even though I didn't do a whole lot better than you on the ICND2, with the multiple choice's I think you really have to narrow it down to the most correct answer in the context of the exam/question. Read all the answers, and don't pick the first one you assume to be correct because it looks like it may be.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This information is in the CCNA curriculum...if you have ever loaded an IOS to a piece of Cisco gear you almost have to know it - Being able to load an IOS is a fundamental component of working with Cisco gear
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    thanks a lot alxx....i'm actually flying down to sydney next week. i was hoping to pass the exam before i leave but now i might end up writing my icnd2 while im down there.

i just dont understand why cisco has to test you on show commands. there are hundreds of them and its impossible to remember even half of them. and thats why routers/switches have the "?" in the CLI.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I'm flying to Brisbane next week .
    One uni exam was tuesday and a project due next friday http://services.eng.uts.edu.au/pmcl/embsw/Downloads/ProjectSpec.pdf
    Pass that and Engineering degree is finally finished (12 years part time)

I think most of the show commands needed are ones you would know from using a cisco router or switch or using gsn3
    to go through a few lab work books especially when confirming/trouble shooting connections , ips, vlans etc

At the cisco exams aren't as bad as the CASA licensing exams (Aircraft Maintenance and Pilot) where they can have four correct answers with one slightly more correct. They are also 85% pass mark.
    Passed all the Q's ,E's and I's (except ID & IH) http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/ame/download/eir_211s.pdf
    QB was the most annoying.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It sounds like you are a little upset that they asked stuff you didn't know. Maybe next time they should just make a test that only asks stuff you know. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nice one networker

It seems like you know a few things. I do understand the frustration about seeing questions on the test that "might not be in the study guides". Cisco is allowed to ask you questions that might not cover the material. Just go back and study. I'm sure you'll pass the exam. You can do it!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In some tests ALL answers are correct and you need to choose the BEST answer given the context of the question. If you know the material there will be zero guessing.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    what you mean why they test you on show commands?
    you need to know the show commands!
    show commands are the first key to troubleshoot
    meh
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    show commands are the first key to troubleshoot

I just passed this morning on my 4th attempt at ICND2.

Yes, show commands are vital. I think you would best benefit from a lab sim. I think Cisco's is pretty nice, but you can also look at Boson's as well but it's a little more pricey. The thing that finally got me the pass was the CCNA IOS Command Survival Guide by Lammle. It was a nice summary of all the OCG commands. Keep at it and you will get it.

Try the free trial of Safari Bookshelf and you can get access to a whole lot of books and Odom's CCNA Video Mentor series which is quite nice. Also, the best resource is INE's free streaming CCNA boot camp.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help where I can.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Wow. It looks like this has been covered a few dozen times, but it's Cisco's exam. They can test you on whatever they want. If they threw some BGP questions on there, feel free to complain. But they don't....last time I checked anyhow. Also, Cisco doesn't give you a graded test back, showing you what you got right and wrong, or what each question's point value is. So you have no clue whether or not you missed all or none of the show command questions, or really even that you failed by 4 questions. Also....it takes a bit more than 4 questions wrong to fail the exam.

Show commands are vital. If you need to see what networks are being routed, you need to know the sho ip route command. Not show run. Not sho ip protocols. Any amount of hands on would have given you the knowledge of which show command shows what.....yeah. Sure you can go through them in a row and eventually find what you need. But I can't see this being something you are surprised was on the test.

Cisco tests aren't easy. When you pass this one you will definitely have earned it. Good luck bud.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA - Must know basic show commands
    CCNP - Must know most of the show commands
    CCIE - Must know ALL of the show commands

icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Show commands are vital on the test and in real life. Those commands are going to be the tools you use to see the current configuration and detect many errors. You don't want to know what they do just to pass the test: you NEED to know them to survive in networking.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    OP - you'll get it on the 3rd time :) Did you use any hardware for labs or just PT and/or GNS?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    thanks everyone..

i used odoms icnd2 text, lammle's ccna text, packet tracer to practice commands, cbt nuggets. i tried watching chris bryant vids but gave up within 5 minutes. i also used bosom test exam.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    vinbuck wrote: »
    CCNA - Must know basic show commands
    CCNP - Must know most of the show commands
    CCIE - Must know ALL of the show commands

icon_smile.gif

lol seems legit

swild gratz on the pass!
    meh
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    thanks everyone..

i used odoms icnd2 text, lammle's ccna text, packet tracer to practice commands, cbt nuggets. i tried watching chris bryant vids but gave up within 5 minutes. i also used bosom test exam.

I really like the INE videos because they go to just the right depth, but as many have said they are quite dry. I did all the configurations on my home lab along with the instructor. I think it helped. You could probably do it with Packet Tracer as well, but I've never used that program.
  • Options
    Don't forget the INE CCNA vids are still free for streaming CCNA Associate Course - 640-802

OP just needs to do a good bit more labbing and not just in simulators.

Its not just practising commands but thinking about what you are doing, why, what can go wrong and how to check/verify each part/link as well as the whole is working.
  • Options
    mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im taking mine in 2 weeks. Getting scurrrred. I've been using transcender plus Bosom Sim, but I'm going to purchase the Bosom practice exam just to be sure!
  • Options
    Not sure on the latest edition of Wendel Odoms book but with the older one, it had a voucher for the cisco press version of the bosun exam in the back cd pocket, which you can upgrade to the full bosun version for less than the full price if you register it with bosun.

Occasionally they have specials and were giving an extra discount for liking them on facebook - still is a 25% discount
    https://www.facebook.com/bosonsoftware

What you do is download their exam environment, register with them for an account ,install the exam environment, add the voucher code(acitvation key) and go from there.
  • Options
    i tried watching INE videos but i cant watch more than 10 minutes without getting bored...the only video i can stand watching is cbt nuggets. when you already know the theory, watching the vids is pretty much useless.

i just got a ccna command line book. im going to study it and make sure i memorize every single command.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would recommend the official CCNA book (Wendell Odom). It written excellently and it's completely better than memorizing a command line book. That coupled with packet tracer software would be optimal
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I would recommend the official CCNA book (Wendell Odom). It written excellently and it's completely better than memorizing a command line book. That coupled with packet tracer software would be optimal

im already using odoms icnd1/icnd2 books along with packet tracer and bosom test sims. the show command questions on the exam is what screwed me...i cant let that happen again.
  • Options
    A few practise questions for you (I'm sure the others can add a few as well)

If you have just configured a setup, how would you verify that each router and switch has the correct ip's ?
    How to map the network i.e whats plugged into each other and on what port (assuming its cisco gear ) ?
    How to check the mac addresses that are on the network without having to log into each and every device and pc/printer?
    How to check that everything is up and running ?
  • Options
    alxx wrote: »
    A few practise questions for you (I'm sure the others can add a few as well)

If you have just configured a setup, how would you verify that each router and switch has the correct ip's
    How to map the network i.e whats plugged into each other and on what port (assuming its cisco gear ) ?
    How to check the mac addresses that are on the network without having to log into each and every device and pc/printer?
    How to check that everything is up and running ?

i dont know if you are asking trick questions.

1. sh ip int brief, sh interfaces
    2. sh cdp neighbors
    3. sh mac-address
    4. sh ip int brief. check line/protocol status and configured ip's.

??
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    i tried watching INE videos but i cant watch more than 10 minutes without getting bored...the only video i can stand watching is cbt nuggets. when you already know the theory, watching the vids is pretty much useless.

i just got a ccna command line book. im going to study it and make sure i memorize every single command.
    Chris Bryant's videos are the best help I've ever had. I'm not sure, but I just don't get bored with him. Jeremy's videos just kinda annoy me, tbh. Haha. He goes off-topic too much, has a slight bias, and just lacks making someone feel confident with the information. If I'm going to study, I want more information than I need. Since you get bored, though, you could try Chris' CCNA Study guide for 10 bucks.
  • Options
    Not trick questions . Just basic trouble shooting ones.

Not exactly the same for switch and router
  • Options
    finally passed...third times a charm.