Options

It why so much ??

killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys see this job advert from an employer here in my region, have to say that there is a lack of qualified it manpower so employers look for a jack of all trades

I'm looking for a serious job in IT myself with my 3years exp only with microsoft technologies,computer and basic cisco networking and wonder if it's not too much overkill for a position.. this really is impressive that it really discourages me but they ask so many things icon_sad.gif

System Admin
  • Salary Will be discussed upon interview
  • Responsibilities Closely work with the CEO and managemnt team on all strategic matters & update on operational matters
    Direct and manage the implementation of new projects.
    Direct and manage telecommunication and information technology strategic plans, policies, programs, computer services, network communications, and management information services to accomplish corporate goals and objectives
    Ensure that support for around-the-clock information transfer, storage, and processing is timely, efficient and meets the service levels required.
  • Experience UNIX/LINUX
    - Installation, configuration and troubleshooting Linux or any other Unix Operating system
    - Installation and Configuration and troubleshooting Capable of performing advanced system administration.
    - High skill level with most Unix commands and utilities
    - Familiar with most basic system administration tools and tasks. For example, can cleanly boot and shutdown the system, add and remove user accounts, use backup programs, perform fsck and maintain system database files (groups, hosts, aliases, etc.)
    - Fundamental understanding of the functioning of the Unix operating system: e.g understands job control, hard and soft linking
    - Basic understanding of Unix security procedures
    - Dealing with NAS/SAN maintenance.

Windows Server/Terminals
    - Implementing and Maintain the good functioning of our Domain Control on windows 2008
    - Dealing with the Intranet Setup on Windows Server
    - Dns management upon request form Agent/Higher Department.
    - Windows based terminal should be kept updated and risk free.
    Cisco Devices & Telephony System
    - Understanding of Cisco Router and Switches manipulation via terminal
    - Design a QoS plan and Vlan knowledge
    - Creating reports and statistics of bandwidth usage.
    - VPN Knowledge
    - Cisco ASA firewall knowledge
    - Understanding of Telephony System and Architecture
    - PABX knowledge together with a good experience with VOIP/PSTN/ISDN.
    - Understand how a simple call delivery mechanism works and can provide assistance if needed.
    - Cable management and cisco phone/device roll out.
    IT Support / Help Desk
    - Dealing directly with agents on site, tacking their problem with their PC.
    - Helping with any technical issue that might arise.
    - Basic IT tasks (formatting new terminal and setting up everything back to normal)

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    killwar wrote: »
    ...I'm looking for a serious job in IT myself with my 3years exp only with microsoft technologies,computer and basic cisco networking and wonder if it's not too much overkill for a position.. this really is impressive that it really discourages me but they ask so many things icon_sad.gif ...

Not really, I've seen my job description (it's about 5 or 6 pages long) and I'd be thinking the same thing as you if I wasn't already in the post.

However it also does depend on the organisation, are you expected to do all of this alone or not? What is the size of the organisation? eg number of users to be supported, the amount of equipment to be supported, eg servers, sites, etc... Is there some sort of good/best practice methodology that is implemented in the organisation? eg ITIL, FITS, MOF, etc...

You've only seen one part of the "whole" job, this isn't enough to make a complete and informed decision about it.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a systems administrator, this posting isn't that bad. I'd say it's about average actually. You've stated that most of your experience is in Microsoft technologies, so I'm assuming the linux section of this post is what you're concerned about. At this point, you've identified a weakness in your skills so start learning linux.

I'm constantly checking job boards almost every day. It's not because I'm looking for a job, but rather, I'm making sure I have the skills that employers are looking for in case I ever want to jump ship or if I get laid off. Things that I see a lot of people asking for, I make sure to learn it and apply it at my current job. Let this job post be a motivation for you to learn new things and expand your skill set. Being strictly a Microsoft person isn't enough anymore as you can already see.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology