Options

Console connection and telnet died - VLANs

oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
Hey guys

Well started going through CBT nuggets videos this evening on VLANs, following along with this topology (see attachment) using my lab. He is using 3550s or something while I am using 2950s.

I was on Switch 1 via console cable and in fa 0/11 config, I did a switchport mode trunk as Jeremy did in the video.. he got an error message and had to setup trunk encapsulation while my tera term just died on me.. I restarted PC and made sure my PCI serial card was in, when I logged back in it was OK.. I did the same command with FA 0/12, it then changed to down and then up... then console connection died again.

I plugged into switch 2 via console and that worked, I can't ping or telnet back to switch 1 though. I plugged back into Switch 1 via console and it has just been sitting there

---
While posting this after a few minutes of watching nothing, the console connection just came alive!
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
S2#
01:14:40: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (192.168.1.12)
[Connection to 192.168.1.12 closed by foreign host]
S1#

Could anyone explain any possible reason why i) the console connection died ii) why I can't telnet between my switches now? It is a pain going to the other side of the room to change what switch the rollover cable is plugged into =(

Thank you

EDIT: Switch 1 LED lights for 0/11+/12 are green while Sw2+3 LED lights (0/1) are amber.. I just did a "no switchport mode" on SW1 FA 0/11 but I still can't ping Switch 2 now.

EDIT2: I should really try more things before I make threads on forums! Well I thought if the switchport LED something is up.. And if I'm setting a port on SW1 to be a trunk surely the port it connects to on SW2 has to be a trunk.. So I went and did that and now I can ping between S1 and S2.. Problem solved I think :)
Lab:
Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you assign an IP address to the management vlan (normally vlan1) on both switches?
  • Options
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    Did you assign an IP address to the management vlan (normally vlan1) on both switches?
    Yeah, I could flick between them before I did the trunking... I just had to set trunking on both switches before I could communicate between them again.. Which I don't understand why. But all sorted now.

I do wish there was a quicker way of telnetting between equipment instead of going to exec privileged exec mode, telnet (ip address).. type in vty password (I'm probably going to remove these), enable.. type in secret.
    Lab:
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    oli356 wrote: »
    I do wish there was a quicker way of telnetting between equipment instead of going to exec privileged exec mode, telnet (ip address).. type in vty password (I'm probably going to remove these), enable.. type in secret.

Once you telnet/SSH in the first time, just suspend the session to go back to the first switch. Afterwards, you can just resume the previous session as long as you didn't exit. I'll let you research how to actually do that. :)
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    georgemc wrote: »
    Once you telnet/SSH in the first time, just suspend the session to go back to the first switch. Afterwards, you can just resume the previous session as long as you didn't exit. I'll let you research how to actually do that. :)
    Hmm, /goes back to ICND1 video about management.. Ctrl shift 6 x or something wacky like that rings a bell.
    Thanks

Job for today, figure out why VTP isn't working on one of my client switches. 1 server, 2 clients, only 1 client is receiving new VLAN information!
    Lab: