Options

S-ATA

paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
I was wondering can SATA and IDE (EIDE) devices be used together on the same motherboard?
Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    yes.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    So say for instance if I already have my limit of four IDE devices on my two IDE controllers I could still use a "fifth" device through a S-SATA connection??

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    yep, I have all 4 of my IDE connections taken with optical and a HDD, and an additional 4 SATA HDD's in one box.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Yes, Thank you!

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    also keep in mind that you could always pick up a PCI IDE controller and add more IDE devices that way as well. Also you can pick up up a SATA card and add more sata that way. Only limit is PCI slots and 5.25/3.5 drive bays.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    paige1 wrote:
    I was wondering can SATA and IDE (EIDE) devices be used together on the same motherboard?

You already have the answer, but it will work so long as your board and OS support what you want to do. ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    also keep in mind that you could always pick up a PCI IDE controller and add more IDE devices that way as well. Also you can pick up up a SATA card and add more sata that way. Only limit is PCI slots and 5.25/3.5 drive bays.

The more options the better. I have one pci slot left (out of three) and whereas I could use it to add more IDE controllers, my board also provides two SATA connectors. I thought that I would see what I could do with those. I never even heard of SATA before I bought the MOBO. I am assuming that XP Home Ed. supports this.

Samuel Johnson