ConpTIA Certificate for Australian Job Market

Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone has any taughts or insight into the Australian IT Job market.

I am planning to move to Australia in January 06, and was hoping that my CompTIA certs would stand to me. I read some website that the IT industry in Australia don't recognize them.

Needless to say i am gutted on hearing this news as i have put a lot of time and effort in getting certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+.

At the moment i am studying for CompTIA Security+, and MCSA and hope to have them by the time i leave for Australia next year.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Regards

Eamonn[/img]
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    CompTIA certifications are industry standard certifications supported by companies whose combined annual revenue probably exceeds the GDP of Australia, so I'm sure you will find plenty of employers out there who will recognise the hard work poured ino their certifications. Especialy multinational corporations, they will usually standardize on a certain HR framework for hiring IT personel, and if they have US/Canada/Europe offices, you can bet they'll care about those certs. They're called "industry standard" for a reason. And that MCSA should carry clout over there as well. Just give 'er and get certified, and then see what happens.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Thanks mikey_b for the reply

Much appreciated.

I taught that myself being that they are industry standard.

Just looking for clarification.
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am from Australia. Just moved to London 2 months ago.

Comptia Certs are most definitely recognised and there are many large Australian companies to work for.

However a Comptia cert probably won't help much as there is a lot of talented and skilled people there but not that many jobs. Experience will help you more. Depends where you go though, which part of Aus you going to?
    Hi Strauchr,

I plan to go to Sydney first,and see how things fair out there.

I like to get into any position really help desk that sort of position. I am not that fussy as i know you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

I plan to have at least 6 months experience from my job at the moment taking care of the companies network.

At the moment i am working toward my MCSA and CompTIA Security+ certs.

What do you think?
    Well your certainly moving to the right part of the country for jobs. About 80% of all IT jobs in Australia are in Sydney however it is very expensive to live there, in the top ten most expensive cities in the world.

I'm from the other side of the country, a city called Perth. It has plenty of jobs there as well but its easier if you know some people. In fact almost every other city in Australia is like that but they are a lot cheaper to live in.

There are quite a few entry level positions for people with some experience and certs. This is due to very few people studying IT now and not going into it because it doesn't offer the wonderful high paying jobs without hard work. Therefore an MCSA would help no end to landing a good Help Desk job in a large company. The Security+ however is one I would wait to do. Get your MCSA it will be much more valuable, do your Sec+ another time. To be realistic I have never even seen a job advertised for someone with Security+ but heaps for MCSA. A+ and Net+ may be of some advantage.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    strauchr wrote:
    The Security+ however is one I would wait to do. Get your MCSA it will be much more valuable, do your Sec+ another time.

I wouldn't wait for the Security + because it is counted towards your elective for the MCSA/E. Plus, if you have it you will be a MCSA: Security

That would look better then just MCSA.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah good point. I didn't think of that, in that case definitely go for Sec+.
    Thanks guys for your replies much appreciated,

I have booked my Security+ exam for the 22 July and will be using it as my elective for MCSA.

Thats of course if i pass it which im hoping i will.

I am using Exam Cram2 Security and TCats Inside Scoop for Security+, have any of you used these?

Once again thanks for your replies

Eamonn :D