Options

GRE or GMAT

dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on whether to take the GRE of GMAT? I'm thinking it's about time I apply to grad school and the program I'm targeting will accept either exam... the problem is, I don't know which I should take. Is one considered easier than the other? Or does one cover different areas of knowledge than the other? It appears that they cover the same basics - reading comprehension, math skills, writing... Any and all advice is appreciated!
Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think they are both challenging, but I would say from partial experience the GRE is a beast. I would recommend looking into the GMAT.

My wife who is extremely smart, made note that the GRE is difficult and for her to make that claim is absolutely an eye opener for me. She is on her way to CRNA school, one of the top 10's they all require the GRE, they will not honor the GMAT.

Usually business schools ask for the GMAT and medical programs like sciences and other medical program require the GRE.

I would do some Google searches and you will find the answers you are most likely looking for.

One last thing a lot of it depends on the individual. If you struggle with Math then the GMAT might actually be harder for you. I am the opposite Math isn't bad, but vocabulary gives me a tough time. The words they expect you to know are massive and never used. That to me is very bizarre and challenging.
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ive looked into this as well, Ive kinda gathered a similar sentiment from reading about people who have taken this exam since this exam is a requirement to get into most regionally accredited masters programs. Ill prolly end up taking the GMAT since that seems to be the path of least resistance.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    @Wilson502 - what do you mean by "path of least resistance"? Is it a case of you believing the GMAT to be the easier test for you (i.e. it plays in to your strengths)?
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looking over what the GRE and GMAT test on, the GMAT I believe would be a less difficult exam to pass for me, so yes.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    @Wilson

I would have a solid chance of scoring well on the GMAT with a training course and study guide. The GRE there is no way I would do anything on that exam. I just don't have the vocabulary to do well on that exam.

I went through my wife's GRE cards and literally went through 30 of them and didn't know the defintion of any of them. I would fail miserable on that exam, guarnteed.

***If you aren't a "math guy/gal" then maybe the GRE is for you.
  • Options
    If the GRE is less math intensive, I may go that route - it's not that I'm not good at math... but it would require significantly more work/study time to bring my math skills back up (you loose what you don't use).
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am pretty sure that medical schools ask for the MCAT. The GMAT, as mentioned is generally for business school. The GRE is broadly requested by other types of programs. In additional, dental schools have a DAT, and law schools have the LSAT, just for completeness.

It all really matters what your graduate school ambitions are.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was always under the impression that the GMAT was more analytic based. Both would prove to be a challenge and I think you'd find people on both sides saying one or the other is better. I avoided taking either, god bless a high gpa and a school willing to waive the GRE because of it!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    @powerfool - right, I knew about the various tests, and their applications (except for the dental one - I always assumed they took the MCAT...). My question stems from the fact that the MS program I plan to apply to accepts both the GRE and the GMAT...
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Eye doctors have their own test as well, all about making money :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Most business programs are allowing the GRE along with the GMAT. It used to not be that way, but if you look at the top 25 business schools A LOT of them are accepting both.

Why not take some practice exams and see which format fits your eye better.......
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    took GRE with little prep and bombed, its hard and must study, i would say memorizing the advanced words was useless. none were on my test
  • Options
    @ HLRS

The GRE is a brutal exam no question about it. I doubt many people would score well on it. My wife is exceptionally smart and will be taking it shortly. I'll post the results.

The advanced words are very challenging. I bet that part alone sinks test takers.
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone has done any sort of off the cuff analysis (no need to be terribly scholarly or anything...) for ranking, in terms of difficulty, some of the various exams that we might encounter... For example, I wonder how the CCIE would stack up against the GRE, or how CISSP compares to GMAT and all that other jazz...
  • Options
    @dmoore

Interesting concept, I would be interested in seeing some people comment on this.