Options

The importance of refreshing your resume

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I just got an e-mail from a contract agency that provides service for one of the 3-letter agencies in the US. It's important to update your account every once and awhile on Monster, Indeed, etc. I just updated mine a few days ago and I'm certain that is why I got the e-mail.

Also. I never got these kind of e-mails and phone calls before gaining the CCENT. Interesting. I can't wait to get the CCNA finished.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Even having Cisco on your resume will get you to show up in some searches, or as a "better" result on some searches.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even disabling / enabling your resume on Monster seems to ring alarm bells in agencies / recruitment companies. Had nothing for a while and after re-enabling my CV I had three calls the very next day (rubbish ones but heh - its a start).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I got more calls too when I added the CCENT/CCNA. Many more engineer jobs whereas before I was only getting help desk and system admin calls
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like i need to work on refreshing mine, next spring will come fast, and i should start looking for work in the San Francisco Bay Area or Orange county months b4 graduation.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Every month or two I 'refresh' mine even if the resume itself hasn't changed, since agencies tend to only look at ones with a recent timestamp.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Yes, it's definitely important to update you're resume on these job sites. It definitely does get more attention from the recruiters.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there a service that would allow you to update you resume on one site and push the updates to the others?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't forget to update your linkedin profile. I filled out the certification section a while back and now I'm getting steady hits from it even though my contact section doesn't include job offers.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I've 2 questions regarding posting on job sites:

1) How do you prevent your current employer from finding out?
    2) How do you prevent the spam?

These two things have kept me off of them.
  • Options
    I won't even care if my employer seen my resume on a job site! It's always been there and it will stay on there regardless of the job.(unless it was security related, then maybe you shouldn't update your current job) I would rather get spam in along with relevant job offers then to have no job offers coming in. I personally, don't know home much spam is related to job sites, but gmail does a decent job of screening must of it out anyways.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    1) If my boss is that paranoid than I'm not sure I want to work for him/her.

2) Just comes with having your resume on a job board.
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    I refresh my resume often, but it's kept private. I don't make it available for public viewing unless I'm actively looking for a job. Anytime I update my resume, I get hammered with calls/emails from recruiters. At first, it was like "yay, it's good to know I have skills other people want", but it gets tiring real fast

1) If my boss is that paranoid than I'm not sure I want to work for him/her.

2) Just comes with having your resume on a job board.

I wouldn't say paranoid...it's a legitimate concern. How would you feel if your employer has your position out on the job board?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    my CCNA definitely got a ton more interest in my resume... and lots of times it seems like recruiters dont even read it, "I have a customer service job you'd be perfect for!"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    no, they just spam everyone and wait to hear back from the first caller sometimes. I'll get calls and emails about jobs that require 5 plus years of experience and I'll politely email them pointing out that fact. It's something that comes with the territory when you post your resume online.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    m3zilla wrote: »
    I wouldn't say paranoid...it's a legitimate concern. How would you feel if your employer has your position out on the job board?

If my job is out on a job board than I'm already fired, or about to be. I was referring to the employer being overly concerned by finding my resume, not the OP.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I think the refresh is important. Seems like once your resume is on the boards for a while it gets noticed less (closer to the bottom of the search results?).
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    If my job is out on a job board than I'm already fired, or about to be. I was referring to the employer being overly concerned by finding my resume, not the OP.

I don't think you got the point of my post.

So it's not "paranoid" for you to think that your job is gone if you see your job being posted on a job board, but your boss is paranoid if he's concern when he sees your resume being updated/posted on Monster?
  • Options
    m3zilla wrote: »
    I don't think you got the point of my post.

So it's not "paranoid" for you to think that your job is gone if you see your job being posted on a job board, but your boss is paranoid if he's concern when he sees your resume being updated/posted on Monster?

Ah. I see your point, but I still disagree. You and I will have to agree to disagree on this one.