Options

Some advice required

jamster2004jamster2004 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys i am preparing for ccent in a few weeks. i been using cbt nuggets, trainsignal, and hope to go thru odom book as well. i have the 2nd edition of odom book. is it worth buying the 3rd edition or should what i have suffice?

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can get a copy of the 3rd edition, it's recommended. Also, I wouldn't relay just on the videos. But that's my personal opinion.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    In my opinion, the Odom book should have been your main study resource, not the videos. I would also suggest getting the 3rd edition.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2nd edition should work just fine IMO - And like everyone else said, the book should be your main resource.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    4_lom wrote: »
    In my opinion, the Odom book should have been your main study resource, not the videos. I would also suggest getting the 3rd edition.

^ this
    CBT and Trainsignal are great but in NO way are enough to pass the exams.

Book should be main source.
    Just get the corrections in here
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition
    *click updates*
    meh
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    I don't know, I thought Chris Bryant's material did really well for the exams. CBT Nugget's did nothing for me preparing for the exams, really. I think Chris Bryant's CCENT series, trainsignal at least, could suffice alone but also using a book would obviously be recommended too. The CCNA is obviously a bit tougher than the CCENT, so you'd probably want to do some labs, videos, and book. ^.^
  • Options
    jamster2004jamster2004 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok thanks much for the replies. i will go ahead and get the 3rd edition and get cracking. i like the videos because they give me a nice overview before i start the reading. Thus far i have been using packet tracer and gns3 to practice the labs i see on the videos.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    i like the videos because they give me a nice overview before i start the reading.

I think this is the main strength of the videos, it gives you a good grounding of the concepts and config before the book takes it up a notch (or three).

I love the CBT Nuggets videos, but would never use them as my main resource. Even Jeremy says "dig deeper and fall in love..." :)
  • Options
    itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've heard the same thing about the CBT videos but I try to watch them as well, just to "open my eyes" if you will to what I am studying that week. Gives me something to do when on the treadmill icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Also great for that long morning commute on the train. :)
    itgl72 wrote: »
    I've heard the same thing about the CBT videos but I try to watch them as well, just to "open my eyes" if you will to what I am studying that week. Gives me something to do when on the treadmill icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    ^ this
    CBT and Trainsignal are great but in NO way are enough to pass the exams.

Book should be main source.
    Just get the corrections in here
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition
    *click updates*

I disagree. I got my CCNA by using Train signal. CCNA INE is the best though.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    The Odom books are real solid, I am in them now after just finishing the academy. The practice test engine that comes with the book is great too.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the exams using trainsignal, cbt nuggets, boson ex-sim max, my own notes and Router Alley. In my opinion this is what helped me pass. These should be your main sources.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.