Options

WGU Transfer Credit Experiences

eezeeeezee Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
A little background information first. I started my undergraduate at a 'traditional' university and have 140/192 credits required to graduate. The issue is that it's for a degree I don't really want, and due to my job I don't have time to attend classes on a regular schedule. I have a number of certifications (CISSP, CCNP, CCNA Security, then a bunch of random HP certifications that my different jobs required)

After much research, I decided to finish up my undergraduate degree at WGU. All sounded great, until they 'evaluated' my transcript. They hardly gave me any credits to transfer out of the 140 I had already taken. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the fact the website claims 'A Generous Credit Transfer Policy' promoted me to come on here and ask if anyone else has had issues with their transfer policy and if they were able to resolve it.

I also find it really strange they didn't take my CISSP to waive any requirements, yet want me to take the SEC+ exam. This one actually doesn't bother me as much as some of the general education classes not counting for anything that I had already taken.

Anyone have any advise or tips on how to get credit for these class I already took?

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    That's generally the case when transfering that many credits into any university. Since programs between univerisities are so different, a lot of the credits can't transfer to anything useful towards the new degree. You can't really expect to earn a degree at a university by transfering in and only taking a few classes there.

I would definitely try to fight for credit on classes that sound the same as you've taken but don't set your expectations too high!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not a WGU student, but I've read stories on this site that showed a much more liberal transfer policy. I would definitely request a re-evaluation. Your CISSP and Cisco certifications should definitely wave certain requirements, as should your existing credits. I think Security+ as a requirement is absurd given CISSP. While the material is a bit different, Security+ is so much easier by comparison that it just doesn't seem right.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I didn't expect most of the upper level classes to transfer to anything. However the general education classes should have been (in my opinion anyway) counted.

Has anyone gone through the appeal process?
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    At the bottom should list the sources of your transcripts. Are they all there?

Possibly they are getting strict about the guidelines
    "Must be college level from an institution that is recognized as Nationally or Regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education., must have been awarded a grade of C- or better, may not be used to fulfill more than one assessment, and must meet the competency unit and content equivalency."

Did you CISSP count for DEV1? Did you ask your enrollment councilor?
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would talk to WGU again. Their policy is very liberal. I mean, I took Trigonometry twice at two different community colleges (still don't know how this happened) and they gave me credit for both of them on the different math courses at WGU.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I was quite pleased with my recent transfer evaluation. My Associate of Arts cleared all the general education classes. I never took Geography or Speech so I was a little concerned I would have to take those classes. I think since you did not complete your under graduate degree is the reason why a lot of credits did not clear even though with your credits it would seem like all the general requirements would be cleared.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    My CISSP waived my Sec + class. You will see in the transfer evaluation what certs waive or replace the course and CISSP is listed for Sec +. They also missed my Lit CLEP and I had to request a reevaluation for that. Its also possible that the courses you took at your previous school have no course equivalent at WGU. May I ask what school you transferred from?
  • Options
    Transferred from Welcome to Wright State University | Wright State University

I called the transcript evaluation office, they have to re-do the evaluation (which they said would take about 24 hours)
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My A.A. cleared all my GE's as well, still disappointed that my 2 C++ classes didn't count towards the programming classes but I'll need to brush up on it anyway. What GE's were you left with? Contact your enrollment counselor for the transcript appeals form and send it in right away (transcriptappealsatwgudotedu)since you'll only have 15 days from the date of the evaluation to submit an appeal otherwise your appeal will need management approval. Anyone with that many credits shouldn't have to re-take GE's unless you were studying holistic medicine for newborn kittens from a non-regionally-accredited institution.