Options

STP help

fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
I have tried to think so much but I don get the answer of getting the cost of STP eg when bandwidth of 100Mbps is used the cost is 19.
any to help me please.

Comments

• Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    I'm not exactly sure what your question is...but prior to the introduction of gigabit + links the cost was calculated by dividing 1000 by the bandwidth in Mbps. This left you with an integer cost value of 1 for a 1 Gbps link or 10 for a 100Mbps link. Because this calculation cannot account for links greater than 1 Gbps it is no long used. IEEE carefully selected new values (you should have a table in the book you're using) to accommodate the common bandwidths in use today and account for future growth. So, it's pretty much arbitrary now and you pretty much need to memorize the STP bandwidth cost table.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    It is hard to memorize all the table,that's I look for a simplest way
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if there is a "simple way"! I think you just have to memorize them. I don't know of any shortcut that will help you. Subject to correction, they normally reference the standard bandwidths, and would probably not vary beyond these, for example:
    Bandwidth
    STP Cost Value
    10 Mbps
    100 Mbps
    1 Gbps
    10 Gbps

If I understand what you're asking, is it how does Cisco come up with these cost values?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    do cisco really ask you Whats the value of a 10gb line?
    I doubt so...
    Just learn a bit about the exacts value but focus more on the higher the rate the lower the cost.
    And how STP uses the values to determine the ports (root/forward/block etc)
    meh