Options

San Diego IT Jobs

LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
Where would all of you locally go to find IT work? See sig for qualifications. Looking for Systems Engineering, HeldDesk, Entry Level, etc.

Supposedly, the recession ended here yesterday icon_razz.gif
In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    The wife and I relocated to Orange County a couple weeks ago. I've kept my job in central California while I look for jobs in OC and drive down when I land an interview. I felt staying employed was important. I've been responding to job postings on Dice, Indeed, Simplyhired, craigslist etc. I've had success with all the sites I listed, including an interview yesterday I landed at a law firm via craigslist. I've had several in-person interviews already and also several phone interviews so definitely utilize those resources.

I have come across the occasional postings for San Diego (and camp pendleton if you're feeling adventurous) listed in the OC area (I assume the companies may be based there (the city may say aliso viejo when I click on it for example but the position is based in SD), so that may be worth a look for you. Also look up managed service providers and data centers that are based in San Diego. I've seen several entry level NOC positions open for data centers in San Diego.
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mrkali, where in Central California is your job if you dont mind me asking? Im right next to that hellhole called Fresno, lol.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    Visalia .. My current job is more a sales/marketing position with some minor IT tasks, at a local hotel. I'm gunning for a complete career change.
  • Options
    How are you handling the transition? I'm looking to make a very similar transition as yourself in the next year after i graduate. I was looking down either where you are in orange county or the bay area around silicon valley and south east bay.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if I don't have the experience people are looking for, or maybe I'm just not putting in enough effort to job searching. I'm working in south Orange County right now but have been looking for a new job. I respond to 25-30 postings per week on the same sites you're having success on and the best response I've gotten was a phone interview for a job that I was clearly underqualified for. Maybe it's time to put my resume up here to be critiqued. Or maybe I'm just not searching hard enough.
  • Options
    @bored well it depends on the type of jobs you are applying for, how much experience you have, and whether or not the jobs you are applying for are asking for a degree.
  • Options
    Wilson:
    It's exciting! My wife and I wanted to get out of the area at some point as there is a complete lack of opportunity in the valley. A position within her company opened up down south so we jumped on it. We actually had a choice between the Bay and Orange County and we opted for OC since we have family in the area.

Depending on where you live in Orange County jobs based in downtown LA are also an option. My friend lives in Fullerton and has an accounting job in downtown LA. He takes the metro link to the outskirts of downtown then takes the subway the rest of the way. His commute via the train is about a hour & 15 minutes each way. It gives him an opportunity to read or whatever. It's less stressful and cheaper than paying for gas/parking.

boredgamelad:

It may be the structure of your resume that is causing employers to not take note of your skills. Def. make a thread and put your resume up for critique.

In addition, for postings that I have more of an interest in I structure a cover letter stressing that I possess attributes that the listing says they are looking for.. among other things. There are a boat load of applicants for every listing and you definitely need to stand out from the pack. If HR receives 100 applications they may decide to cull ones that did not include a cover letter, then cull ones that may not posses a bachelors, etc.
  • Options
    @Mrkali, thats awesome! Although Irvine is a great place to live, its a bit pricey and a little too plastic for my taste. Id probably look to live in fountain valley, huntington beach area or the area south of irvine (Lake Forest, Tustin, Mission Viejo) if a deal can be had.