Options

CISSP on resume/LinkedIn

trsstrss Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Quick question: I passed my CISSP yesterday and I am sending in my paperwork for endorsement today. Since it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to process the endorsement and the official cert., is it okay to add CISSP to my resume and linkedin profile?

What are your thoughts?

PS: Would also be nice to know how well i did on the exam. So anyone knows why ISC2 doesn't share the results of the exam?

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I know ISC2 doesn't like for you to put it on your resume before they actually confer the cert (in case they deny you full CISSP...) - so I wouldn't mention CISSP on the resume you submit to them.

That being said, after I passed the exam, I put it on my resume as "CISSP (pending endorsement)". And after my endorsement met ISC2's approval, I removed the "pending endorsement" part.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, you better just wait...
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    That being said, after I passed the exam, I put it on my resume as "CISSP (pending endorsement)". And after my endorsement met ISC2's approval, I removed the "pending endorsement" part.

+1 to that. I did the same. And I got a call from a recruiter who asked what "pending endorsement" meant. I explained it and she asked when I expected to receive the official word. I told her 4-6 weeks is the typical turn around time and I'd already been waiting for two weeks (this was two weeks ago) so I just ripped the "pending endorsement" tag today.

OP - I think it's ok to put it up along with the aforementioned tag. I did it and as I explained above, I got a nibble and had to explain a little bit what it meant. If you do it, just be ready to explain to folks what the pending thing means. I tried looking around the ISC site and google and didn't find anything that explicitly prohibits you from putting the designation up with that caveat, only prohibitions against using the logo and using the CISSP designation by itself before you have been vetted by ISC2. If you really want the "right" answer, I'd go ahead and put an email to ISC and ask them that question. And please post the reply if you do email them because I'm sure those like you who are in the weird grey area of having passed but waiting for endorsement acceptance would want to know what to do! And also I'm curious to see if what I did is wrong or not. icon_redface.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I know ISC2 doesn't like for you to put it on your resume before they actually confer the cert (in case they deny you full CISSP...) - so I wouldn't mention CISSP on the resume you submit to them.

From (ISC)2 standpoint, you are not a CISSP until your application has been reviewed and the designation granted. Once you have passed the examination, but before the CISSP has been awarded, you can legitimately use: Associate of (ISC)2 toward CISSP (cf. https://www.isc2.org/how-to-become-an-associate.aspx)

If a candidate had this on their resumé, I could inquire at what point they are in the process. Are they fresh out of college and lack the 4 years of applicable experience, or are they seasoned infosec warriors with considerable work experience and exposure? I hate to say it, but I would automatically disqualify any applicant that put CISSP (pending endorsement) on their resumé. To put it another way, would you entrust your health to a physician that had M.D. (pending endorsement)? Either you are a CISSP, or you are not. Do not claim to have a designation that you are not yet entitled to. After all, your CISSP application may be denied by the (ISC)2 due a number of reasons.

Integrity: in this field, it is critical. Know the rules, requirements, and above all else, behave ethically.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've personally meet a number of "ethically flexible" CISSP's and wannabes enough lately as it is. Integrity in the field has certainly slipped to say the least to the point of being its own running joke.

- beads
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    whatever you do make sure it is not on the resume you send them. I had Associate of CISSP(or something like that on there) and they sent me an email telling me to take it off then resubmit all of my stuff again.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I had Associate of CISSP(or something like that on there) and they sent me an email telling me to take it off then resubmit all of my stuff again.

That's understandable, considering that the 'Associate of CISSP' designation doesn't exist LOL.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's understandable, considering that the 'Associate of CISSP' designation doesn't exist LOL.

lol. to clarify i had "Associate of (ISC)2 (CISSP Application Pending)" on my resume. Basically, they told me that CISSP cant be anywhere on the resume until the application process is complete.
  • Options
    misterXmisterX Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great question to the OP.
    Something I needed to know.
  • Options
    DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just wait, thats what i'm doing. why risk it??