Options

installing USB card that is not PCI

JohnRedcornJohnRedcorn Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have this usb card that came with my mobo. It's not a pci card, it just has power connector and 2 usb ports. I can't find an place on the mobo for me to plug the connector into. Here's a diagram of what the connector looks like:

Anyone knows where i can plug this thing into?

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    What kind of Usb Card, what kind of mobo?
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes there is not a 'connector socket' as such, but a set of pins that look like jumpers - have a look at your manual.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I have this usb card that came with my mobo. It's not a pci card, it just has power connector and 2 usb ports. I can't find an place on the mobo for me to plug the connector into. Here's a diagram of what the connector looks like:

Anyone knows where i can plug this thing into?

What brand/model of MOBO are you using?

The newer boards (past two-three years) have a male pins on the board many times inside a plastic box. Blue is many times USB2.0 and white regular USB1.1 (though, I'd be supprised if any NEW board has USB1.1).

It is possible that there is merely a grouping of pins that will match your connector.

The other thing to look at (AFTER THE MANUAL) is the silkscreening on the mobo. Good brand mfg's will mark their MOBO's very well and make it easy for you to follow.

*USUALLY* you will find the pin connector near the 'bottom' of the board (CPU and PS2 connectors generally near the 'top'......that is for ATX/mini ATX style boards).

Since those add-on USB connectors don't have long cables, figure it needs to be near the bottom chassis slots and within the range of that plug you diagramed (very nicely) above.

HTH
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    the mobo is a Shuttle AN35(N) Ultra. I think it's USB 2.0 because this is what it said on the wire: usb shielded high speed cable 2.0 E188601 (UL) TYPE CMG

Found a pic of what it looks like:
    http://www.cableclub.com/images/62440.jpg
  • Options
    7a1bde08.jpg
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Actually, look where I have circled on the board as well as the pins immediately to the left (in the photo) of the white PCI slots (a.k.a bottom of the board if already installed).

I may have posted too quickly, but I pulled that image from Shuttle's site and quickly looked at it.

Your manual should tell you exactly, if not there should be silk-screening on the board labeling those pins.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    appreciate the help plantwiz.
  • Options
    Yup, thats them Plantwiz.

JohnRedcorn If the connectors from your case are the single ones and not a block socket you will need to take great care ensuring that they are all in the correct order.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    appreciate the help plantwiz.

Anytime :)

RussS, I think he has a block by the **** pattern he did in his first post, so all he should need to do is match the 7 pins.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Whoops - you are correct Plantwiz - my bad for not re-reading his original post icon_redface.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    Whoops - you are correct Plantwiz - my bad for not re-reading his original post icon_redface.gif

No biggie :)

Was glad you didn't think I was ragging on you for that :)
    Plantwiz
    _____