Options

Is CBT nugget videos enough, or should cross study with the book?

TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
I just got a CBT nugget DVD from some1 i know who has bunch of cisco certification, and he gave me the DVD he used to study. It has ICND1 and ICND2. I am almost half way down with the ICND1, i was wondering if anybody passed the test just watching the videos and takes some notes from it? i also have official cisco press ICND1 and ICND2 books.
WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)

Comments

• Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    For my ICND1 I would say that the videos aren't enough. Read the books as well, multiple sources is generally better, they will probably go into detail which he doesn't talk about.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The videos are definitely not enough in my experience for almost ANY certification. I would recommend backing what you're learning in the videos with labs and a book
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    CBT Nuggets (like most other video series or even most classroom lectures) don't go into as much detail as the books do. What the videos are for is to show you the overview of what needs to be done, and to walk you through the actual steps of configuring and managing whatever technology you're learning. The books will go into theory, background information on optional configurations, etc. So, for the exams, CBT Nuggets videos can help you get started and help make a lot of abstract-sounding topics more concrete as the instructor shows them to you, but you'll need to read the book(s) and do plenty of lab-work to really learn the nitty-gritty details.

On the flip-side, though, I've found that videos like the ones from CBT Nuggets are great for review or for learning real-world configurations in a hurry, for most cases. If you just need to get OSPF up and running fast, just need to review subnetting after you've gotten rusty, or only need a quick refresh on STP settings, the videos are absolutely fantastic; this also holds true for the Microsoft series of videos.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I usually use cbt nuggets as a gloss, to learn the basics and have a moderate understanding about how it works.. And then I use books and labbing to gain a sharpness that explains how it works (on a more refined level) why it works(theory) and how come it is used/implemented (value).

The CBT series helps the plunge into the more technical and intimidating aspects lose some of its thud. While there are aspects that seem still daunting after the cbt nuggets and the books.... I couldn't imagine reading this chapter about STP and all of the commands and different modes without that gloss I got from cbt, my head was spinning enough as it is... but at least I was able to keep telling myself in the end its all about blocking redundant links that aren't needed at the time... so I was able to gather myself every time the damn room started spinning lol. And i kept thinking about that piece of broccoli Jeremy placed on one of the links.. it help keep it from becoming a feeling of being lost... (because it was funny)

I however don't feel I could have passed my other certs and hopefully this one with just cbt.. I believe at the max, (personal opinion) that just cbt by itself, if you mastered everything in every video...usually gets you about 70-75% of the information you need to pass.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You''l definitely won't pass without doing labs until your eyes bleed and your brain explodes.

Make you you know the commands in your sleep.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Jeremy's teaching method is quite entertaining, however from watching his entire series from CCENT all the way to CCNP TSHOOT and even CCNA Security, there are lots of minute details missing. Chris Bryant and INE's Brian McGahan cover a lot more finer points, however, don't throw your eggs all in one basket by just doing CBTs. You'll need to absorb the information through reading and apply your knowledge through labs. No short cuts here.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with everyone here. When I studied for CCNA Voice, I read the book then I watched the CBT Nuggets by Jeremy Ciora. The videos were great review for the tex. I was also doing labs and trying to implement what I learned.
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    I suggest to watch CBT nuggets and then books. A lot of things will be very easy to understand
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Based on my experience, Train Signal is enough to pass. I don't know about cbt nuggets though.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT is good but you need other material. I passed using Chris Bryant's ebook and vids. Other good sources are Router Alley and boson ex-sim max
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like others have said, watch the CBT series, whether it be Nuggets or Chris Bryant's videos. But along with those studies I'd recommend that you have a book to backup the learning. Some people learn A LOT when watching videos, some people don't. It just depends what type of learner you are. Do you learn a lot from lectures or do you learn a lot through reading? It's a question that entirely you need to ask yourself.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Chris bryant's ebook is the exact same thing as the train signal videos.

To the OP. If you watch the train signal videos, pay attention and take good notes you will pass the exam. The only thing i would recommend you do is use the "magic number" way of subnetting because the way that chris teaches it is slow as ****.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pickup a book.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Like others have said, watch the CBT series, whether it be Nuggets or Chris Bryant's videos. But along with those studies I'd recommend that you have a book to backup the learning. Some people learn A LOT when watching videos, some people don't. It just depends what type of learner you are. Do you learn a lot from lectures or do you learn a lot through reading? It's a question that entirely you need to ask yourself.

i have trainingsignal`s video too. May be i watch CBT nuggets, then watch training signals, then read the book(odom`s ICND1 and ICND2). So i can start taking practice exams, and do lab simulations. I just got home lab equipments, 1router, 1swithc and all the necessary cables,(i was gonna get 2 switchs, but got 2 router by mistake :) ), i also have pocket tracers and GNS3 emulator with bunch of IOS to go with it. I will be studying like 20-25 hours a week starting from next week. Thnx for all the response

Also, i learn better in videos or lectures then self-reading. But what i do is cross-reference if i am having hard time understanding the subject.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)