Options

Anyone getting raises this year?

swildswild Member Posts: 828
Just curious how well the rest of the country is doing as far as pay increases are concerned. I just got my yearly merit based raise of 2%. Considering the fact that inflation over the last 12 months is 2.2%, it's really a decrease in pay. Also, I have a job interview this afternoon. It seems that the only way I can increase my pay is by changing employers which I really hate. I would rather be paid what I'm worth to stay in the environment that I already know.

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Last month I received a 16% raise. I still make less than a lot of people starting out, and I've been at it for 2 years! In fact, that guy from Alabama complaining about pay makes more than I do and he has a lower cost of living.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Flat rate contractor. Nothing
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah just waiting to see if I'll move up to the next job title, but 6 months till I will find out.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Got a ~70% raise. Actual net increase wasn't much due to increasing 401k contribution to max it out.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    i got a 3% market adjustment/merit increase earlier this year... need to find a new job...
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Got a 9% Raise at start of year with just the A+. Can't wait to See what I get with 3 MTA certs and N+ and S+ and ITIL, Don't actually have the last 2 yet but I will.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    IMHO, percentage hardly matters depending on salary.

Some people say they got a 10% raise because of XYZ, but they only made $8/hr in the first place.

Someone who gets 5% when in 80-120 range is fair.

Again, just my opinion.

To answer the OP, I have heard annuals are only at 2% at this company this year. And not everyone is getting them.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    My old/night job has the same kind of policy, swild. They only give you BS 4% raises MAX and considering that inflation was 3.77% the last I checked, that really only means I'm getting a .23% raise for the year. My solution is to jump ship which is what I'm currently in the process of. I'll get a raise at the new job once I get past my 90 day probation so I'm just working both until that happens. Not sure how much the raise will be yet, but the CEO threw out numbers that were close to six digits so definitely a good increase.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In January I received about a 10% raise by earning by BS degree and the MCITP. Overall I like my position with this company and don't see myself leaving for a long time!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with @Devilry. Percentages are not meaningful since it would largely depend on where you are and at what level. I dont expect a raise next year. I expected a 1% this year but was pleasently surprised to get a 2% raise. Like many companies, we budget a fixed raise %next pool and then allocate based on various factors.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul but isn't a large part of you income based off of intitatives and goals. Do you get performance bonuses?
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this month i got a 7% raise and in january getting another 7%. next raise is given in 2 years at 5%.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Paul but isn't a large part of you income based off of intitatives and goals. Do you get performance bonuses?

Yes, I think that was @Devilry 's point about percentages. My total compensation is variable and in large part tied to the success of the corporation and the line-of-business. So my base salary is only about half my compensation and the variable portion could be anywhere from 0% to 100%. Also I tend to defer compensation for tax purposes to future years when practical so my annual income can swing quite a bit each year.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @paul I also do agree that percentages dont mean much depending on how much you make and level. But the reality is if you okayed whatever rate they offered to pay you a raise/more money is always nice no matter what percentage it is especially if your salary so no o.t. to make extra. Its always better then nothing.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They haven't given out annual raises here for 4 years despite a major upswing in customer enrollments/workload AND a decrease in staff size. I've only been here for 2. Chances are really good that I won't see an extra cent unless I jump ship, which I'm currently attempting. Not just because of the lack of monetary compensation but for a host of other reasons on top of it. It certainly doesn't help, though.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Well I'll throw out some actuals ...

Started the job in Feb @ 45K and then completed CCNA within 90 days received a 11.5% raise, completed CCNA voice received a spot bonus, there are two more bonuses for some of the other tests and then a $7500 raise at the end of the NP Voice which would bring a total 27% raise this year.. and $1500 in spot bonuses - not sure what next year will equal. I'm also quite sure my workload will increase as well.. but I may also mention I'm hourly so my earning potential is greater

This is a better spot than where I was previously on salary $48K and over-time out the wazoo with no payment :)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No raise for me this year icon_sad.gif hopefully next year brings brighter moments :)
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Just recieved max raise of 2.75%. Even when the economy was good that has always been the max raise anyone can get. We are a non profit, but still. Oh well, I have a face to face on Monday and based on my phone interview with the IT Manager this morning things look good.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As an employee, I do have a general expectation of yearly raises. I'm worth it, and expect to have my compensation increase both in accordance with exceeding performance expectations and accounting for inflation. Even if there is a performance-based incentive program (e.g. commission or bonus based on objective factors), I still expect at least a small base salary increase.

That's my personal opinion and doesn't apply to everyone. For me, my value increases significantly each year and will continue to do so for at least the next five years.

Contract positions are a bit different and generally pay more accordingly as a result. If I sign on to a two-year contract, for example, it will be for more money than I would expect to make in two years as an employee.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I actually make less than I did 5 years ago... Left big business for a start-up, start-up shifted hands/downsized 3 times in the last 4 years. I'm not an IT network guy though. I do 3d modeling and currently making the transition towards software development.

I would love to make more $, I can understand why I haven't received a raise, simply because the company pretty much has no income at this point. The lack of raises could be looked at as a trade off for the work environment. I live 8miles(15min drive) from work, it's a very small shop (4 people including the boss), the boss lives 3hrs away, no set work hours, come and go as we please for the most part, and we are inside a modern building that is really nice.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i am a federal contractor. i have been working in my current position since march 2011, and i got a six month raise of 2.5% which i was deeply disappointed by (but they placated me by saying they rarely give six month raises - only to top performers - and that at my one year mark i'd get a much better raise, so i dealt with it).

at my one year mark, i got a 1.5% raise. so for the year, that's 4%. which i guess is okay but i'm not happy about it because they had promised a better raise for my annual performance review.

since the contract is nearing its end (july 31st), they didn't give any raises to people who had evaluations from april onward, and limited the raises prior. i heard that when the new contract starts (assuming my company still has it) that they will make up for these raises, and that it should be retroactive.

i personally did not complain about my one year raise like i normally would, b/c i don't know if i plan to stay too much longer. i'd like to stay until at least september 1st (my 1.5 year mark) because if my company still holds the contract, then i am entitled to a $5k "longevity" bonus (and every six months thereafter - a benefit for all employees here).

so, that bonus plus my crappy raise (and my mostly tax-free income since i'm overseas - although the bonus will be taxed) makes me okay with the situation, for now.

i had stellar reviews at both evaluation periods so my expectations were high, and i was disappointed. i am considering moving into a govie position, but that means less raises, b/c it all depends on the federal budget that year. and i don't know if i'd deal well with that, because merit raises definitely impact my morale at my job; a stellar review doesn't mean anything to me if they don't back it up with money.

i realize my situation is better than most and i truly am thankful for the opportunities i have, and the compensation i receive - i cannot complain about my salary. but no matter what you earn, whether you are taxed or not, i believe that performance should be rewarded with pay increases.
    ~ elizabeth
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We are currently on our 2 year freeze on any pay increases, and no signs of them starting up again. Since I've out grown my position, I'll be leaving for deeper waters in the next 3 months.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I got a increase of 2% this year but I got a increase 30% last year. I guess its not that bad but i want more.

I feel your pain. The only way to get a good pay is to move to another company. I'm only willing to relocate anywhere from california, a permanent job/full time/no contract and more than $100k. I wont move if I cant get those.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I got a increase of 2% this year but I got a increase 30% last year. I guess its not that bad but i want more.

I feel your pain. The only way to get a good pay is to move to another company. I'm only willing to relocate anywhere from california, a permanent job/full time/no contract and more than $100k. I wont move if I cant get those.

Very true amigo! these days you have to move on if you have out grown your position and financial needs. That is why i am partnering up with my business partner on a side business that will earn 3 to 4 times the amount that i earn now lol Its a non IT business, keeping it on the hush hush, but these days you have to be your own boss and make money for yourself, not for others.

and the good thing is, it will be on the side and i can continue with my IT career.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilry wrote: »
    IMHO, percentage hardly matters depending on salary.

Some people say they got a 10% raise because of XYZ, but they only made $8/hr in the first place.

Someone who gets 5% when in 80-120 range is fair.

Again, just my opinion.

To answer the OP, I have heard annuals are only at 2% at this company this year. And not everyone is getting them.

True, but its fun to calculate it sometimes. Personal best was 138%.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I received a 4% raise earlier this year but it wasn't much due to my total salary. When our department was outsourced I took almost a 50% pay cut to stay and not be unemployed. I actually had to wait a year and a half before getting a raise and from what I heard others received either a 2% or no raise at all. Needless to say I have been looking off and on for another position and am currently awaiting the results from my last interview.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I've increased my salary by about 170%(I'm making 2.7x what I was before) this year but haven't quite been in my current position long enough to warrant a raise. After VCP 5 and a year with the company I'm hoping for a good increase otherwise I'll probably start looking around again.

I'm really hoping I won't have to change jobs to increase my salary since I really love where I work but we shall see.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    A raise is nice but unless I specifically allocate where the additional money will go, I don't really notice the increase.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I laughed, hysterically, at the title of this thread.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    My present companies culture (far east) is to not give raises. The way you get a pay increase is by jumping ship. Good thing I can swim.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness