Cisco 2610 Router

joseph.federicojoseph.federico Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm about to start studying for my CCENT exam. I have the Lammle 640-802 book and was thinking about buying a 2610 router off eBay as well. What else would I need, i.e. - cables, etc? I'm pretty novice here. I have experience with small Windows LAN but not much else. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    as long as it's less than $20, go for it. get two if you can. get a WIC-1T for each and a cisco DTE/DCE back to back cable to connect them together. the only few things you'll want to have a successful hardware lab would be a baby blue console cable with a USB to DB9 converter and i personally recommend a 2950 switch to go along with it.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • joseph.federicojoseph.federico Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's what I came up with:

Lot of 2 CISCO 2610 Routers WIC 1T and WIC 1BU Modules, Bragain | eBay

2 - 2610 Routers WIC 1T and WIC 1BU Modules
    - 1 with IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(7)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    - 1 with IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JS-M), Version 12.2(12a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    CAB-6060 Back to Back DTE DCE WIC-1T Cable
    Console Rollover Flat Cable RJ45 DB9 1 pc,6Ft
    3Ft Translucent USB 2.0 to DB9 RS232 Serial Converter Adapter Cable
    CATALYST WS-C2950SX-24 SWITCH, 24 PORTS

Just under $113 for everything. Seems VERY reasonable to me for the purpose of setting up a lab and studying. What do you guys think?
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    i priced out 2x 2610s for about 15 bucks a piece... with a Cat2950 for $30, so that's $60. go to monoprice for your back-to-back cables (3-6 bucks depending on the length), cat5e cables go for $1, console cable can be had for $7.

you don't need to spend over $100 for a CCENT lab. $150 for a CCNA lab is reasonable, only because i recommend 3x routers and 2x switches. have you checked out craigslist? people are always selling used routers on there.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    have you checked out craigslist? people are always selling used routers on there.

I second the vote for craigslist. Had a 2-hour round trip drive, but just picked up a 2610 for $50 (yeah, I know overpriced, right?). Wrong. Has a T1 CSU/DSU WIC and (drum roll please) NM-16A! Yep. I finally got my access server.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    spd3432 wrote: »
    I second the vote for craigslist. Had a 2-hour round trip drive, but just picked up a 2610 for $50 (yeah, I know overpriced, right?). Wrong. Has a T1 CSU/DSU WIC and (drum roll please) NM-16A! Yep. I finally got my access server.

You didn't count the gas money! icon_smile.gif

I'm just starting my home lab. Im in CCNA4 now at the college and have done nothing but packet tracer. I just picked up two 2950 switches for $47. I still need to get some 2600 series routers. My goal is 3 switches, 3 routers, and throw in some GNS3 and Packet Tracer too.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    2620s can be purchased for about 30-40...XM models are more.

$50 for 2 2950s is a good deal as well.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure, but I think I am going to need to find and add some WIC 1T modules to get the serial part of the labs working.

I'm eyeing some 2500 series routers that are roughly $19 Ive seen locally to do either frame relay or access server. Not totally sure on those as I'm just starting to research that side of things.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I've got a pair of 1721s cross-connected using T1 CSU/DSU WICs. I've made T1 crossover cables and they talk back and forth across them as serial links. A lot of the non-cert kit 2600 routers on EBay have the WIC-1 DSU-T1 modules so if you have those sitting gathering dust because they came in the routers you bought already, you might already have everything you need.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
    Craigslist didn't have any bargains so I bit the bullet on the 2 - 2610 Routers with WIC 1T and WIC 1BU Modules. Cost me $33 each delivered. They got the power cords too and a guarantee. I thought it was a decent deal. I already got my study guides so impatience won over scoring them at a cheaper price, which I didn't find at the time anyway. Wish me luck piecing my lab together. Special thanks to Somnipotent for getting me in the right direction. I'll take a pic and post it when it's all laid out. Gotta order the cables and I'll be set :)
    Help me decide for sure here please. I can get a nice 2950-24 switch pretty cheap. I believe the only difference between that and the 2950SX-24 is you get 2 fixed 1000BASE-SX ports on the latter. Will it make a difference in studying for the CCENT and CCNA exams? Any other pros and cons are also appreciated. Thanks!
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Aren't those ports just the fiber ones? In which case I just see it being a waste of money... Don't need performance on a lab. Go for the nice cheap normal 2950s :D
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
    Yep...looks that way so I bought the non-SX model. Now I'm done. Total cost of lab $106.28 delivered, not quite under $100 but still cheap. The local state college wants about $1400 + books + lab for their CCNA course. I'm not that rich.
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely try and find the XM models, 2651 is the fastest,
    Google cisco 2600, 2621xm, and 2651xm.

You will find the cisco spec sheets.

2651xm is best, it does have 2 Ethernet ports, higher memory capacity, and is faster.It is a couple bucks more.

all are welcome i have a 2610, 2651, & a 2651XM.
    Watch for the token ring models, i don’tthink we have any more use for them 2612

Google cisco 2600

Keep reading,

2651xm is best
    Lots of links to read, here is one
    Cisco 2600XM DSL Router Bundles* [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems
    xm will run SDM software