Options

Need advice on my thoughts

kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am taking an A+ > N+ > CCNA > MCITP > VMWARE path. I am working at two companies, their name alone will boost my resume, but not the experience I need. I absolutely need to make $3000 or more a month after taxes to cover expenses. Right now working both jobs achieves that. My current situation is I am working for both companies and I work nearly 100 hours a week between the both of them. One of them will end either towards the end of this year or next July. The other part of me thinks I won't last that long working 100 hours a week for a year. I want to be able to spend time with my future child and not have to work 100 hours a week going no where. Right now I am at a point of due or die decision here. Either will make me miss my child's first year or more. Will the certs im going for assist in my goal? Or do I drop the certs completely and concentrate on passing the ASVAB with good marks to get into IT. These are my two choices. I know I have to ultimately make the decision but it's nice to hear what peoples experiences and/or opinions are, comparing them to make a sound choice. I really have no one to talk to so I am seeking out the certification community. icon_cheers.gif
Pending:
640-816; ITIL 2011
2013:
Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Tech7UpTech7Up Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Kremit,

You kids are only young once. You should try to spend as much time with them as possible. Of course you job is important too. The bond with your newborn will last you a lifetime. My advise is to slow down your certification and spend time with your child.

Parent of two.:)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's really a tough decision. I absolutely agree that family comes first. But to provide for family and longer term horizon viewpoint - sometimes there is a sacrifice and trade-off needed. Will the certification increase the likelihood of your earning potential to the point where it's worth it. That's really a tough one. As a parent, I struggle with the extra work and long hours. But what I did was try to set some consistency with my daughter. What I learned was that it was consistency and ability for my daughter to count on me being around when she expected me helped a lot.

I think that this is one of those questions where there may not be a right or wrong answer.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Family should come first (though I do understand about putting food on the table).

It sounds like you have a lot of stress and have a lot on your table right now. I can understand wanting to improve your situation, and I hope things improve.

The certs you're pursuing are more the general ones (though CCNA, MCTIP and VCP5 are sought after). Are the firms you're working for covering the costs/training? With all of the ones you listed, you should be able to get $60,000+ on the market easily. The question is now or later. Is it worth missing your child's first year (which can never be reclaimed) or do you possibly put it off for later and struggle now?

I saw that you mentioned ASVAB? Are you considering an enlistment in the military? If so, the pay will be low at first (though the benefits, housing/food/medical will be good)? If you had a bachelor's, I'd say seek out a commission. The initial pay is decent.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not really sure of your route. You mention the ASVAB test and working for two companies. Are you enlisting into the military?

To be honest with 100 hours a week of work, you only have 168 hours a week of time.

So right there you are 168-100 = 68. Almost 60% of your time is being utilized at work. Let's assume you get 5 hours of sleep 35 hours. You are now at 168 - 135 = 33 total hours left during the week. That's 80% of your week going to work or sleep. You have 20% of your week left. How many hours can you afford to study for certifications?

I would only consider it if you have downtime at work, only then I would consider studying for certifications. Even then maybe just staring off into space and relaxing is a better option. Just by looking at numbers you are seriously over utilized. Most human can't function at that level and you are headed towards burn out in my opinion.
  • Options
    Family should come first (though I do understand about putting food on the table).

It sounds like you have a lot of stress and have a lot on your table right now. I can understand wanting to improve your situation, and I hope things improve.

The certs you're pursuing are more the general ones (though CCNA, MCTIP and VCP5 are sought after). Are the firms you're working for covering the costs/training? With all of the ones you listed, you should be able to get $60,000+ on the market easily. The question is now or later. Is it worth missing your child's first year (which can never be reclaimed) or do you possibly put it off for later and struggle now?

I saw that you mentioned ASVAB? Are you considering an enlistment in the military? If so, the pay will be low at first (though the benefits, housing/food/medical will be good)? If you had a bachelor's, I'd say seek out a commission. The initial pay is decent.

These certs are 100% financed by me. The money you speak of is good and what im looking for. I am willing to do the sacrifice of my child's first 6 months vs a couple years to be able to not have to work 100 hours+ a week the rest of the time she is growing up. I am considering military as an option. The pay would be low, but I will refuse to score anything low on the math and comprehension sections of it. Allowing my family to be nearly debt free.

N2IT wrote: »
    I'm not really sure of your route. You mention the ASVAB test and working for two companies. Are you enlisting into the military?

To be honest with 100 hours a week of work, you only have 168 hours a week of time.

So right there you are 168-100 = 68. Almost 60% of your time is being utilized at work. Let's assume you get 5 hours of sleep 35 hours. You are now at 168 - 135 = 33 total hours left during the week. That's 80% of your week going to work or sleep. You have 20% of your week left. How many hours can you afford to study for certifications?

I would only consider it if you have downtime at work, only then I would consider studying for certifications. Even then maybe just staring off into space and relaxing is a better option. Just by looking at numbers you are seriously over utilized. Most human can't function at that level and you are headed towards burn out in my opinion.

I agree. I can handle this for a year, like I always have, then have to get rid of it for my own sanity. Lucky for me I get three days off in a row every two weeks, so its not like I don't get a break.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Military pay is not low, when you count in that your house is provided as is most (if not all) of your food bills and utilities. Military is a very good option, if you can get in I would suggest the Air Force (prior Army myself). The quality of life in the AF is better, as is their support on the IT side.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    OP,

I like you need to make $X per month in order to provide for my wife and two children, but to be honest 100 hours a week isnt the way to do it... what I would suggest doing is re-vamp your resume and focus on your experience - secure a position that pays <what you need at base>+Over time

Work on your certifications but remember the certs dont trump experience and well.. work doesnt trump family.. I've been in the "work work work" mode for the past 7 years and it's taxing and I deeply regret not spending enough time with my first child when they were an infant - I worked nights, over time, weekends etc all because I needed to.

We all need to work and put food on the table but we need to look at whats important too.. If you're able -- and you have the experience, focus on that and secure a position that only has you work 45-60 hours a week..
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There has to be some sort of work life balance. Working 100 hours a week will just burn you out, I have been there done that. I still work a lot but I do make time for my family. I have not been in the military but have many friends who are and do well, though they have been in for a long while now. As drkat said experience trumps certs, dont forget that.
  • Options
    Valsacar wrote: »
    Military pay is not low, when you count in that your house is provided as is most (if not all) of your food bills and utilities. Military is a very good option, if you can get in I would suggest the Air Force (prior Army myself). The quality of life in the AF is better, as is their support on the IT side.

Can't do AF, too old. Army and Navy are my only two options at this point. I can't go reserve due to the elimination of my income while at boot camp. Never been in, have to go. I'd probably go through the navy because my wife likes the sea.
    netsysllc wrote: »
    There has to be some sort of work life balance. Working 100 hours a week will just burn you out, I have been there done that. I still work a lot but I do make time for my family. I have not been in the military but have many friends who are and do well, though they have been in for a long while now. As drkat said experience trumps certs, dont forget that.

I know, but I don't have experience managing a switch/router nor do I have experience in server management, but both I have knowledge of and need to get certified to prove this.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    They have to keep your job on hold for you if you do reserves, and of course you get paid during basic. One thing to note is that the first check takes about 1.5 months before it hits, so plan for that.

Have you looked at the Coast Guard? They are the 5th branch of the military that most people forget about, you'd basically stay in one place (near the ocean, obviously) and lower deployment chances. Navy you will spend some time at sea, stretches are normally 6 months which could be hard on the family. Army has a good amount of overseas posts, at home you'd spend about 4 years, overseas anywhere from 1-4 years. Most overseas you can bring your family with you, which would be a great experience for your kids.

Honestly the Military might be a great option for you, any branch. You'll get more training, experience, education (if you stay in for 10 years you can give that GI Bill to your kids!) and some unique experiences for your family (overseas life).

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    OP,

what do you have experience in
  • Options
    kremit wrote: »
    Can't do AF, too old. Army and Navy are my only two options at this point. I can't go reserve due to the elimination of my income while at boot camp. Never been in, have to go. I'd probably go through the navy because my wife likes the sea.

I know, but I don't have experience managing a switch/router nor do I have experience in server management, but both I have knowledge of and need to get certified to prove this.

Well, your military choices are U.S. Coast Guard (which falls under Dept of Homeland Security), Department of the Navy (U.S. Marine Corps and Navy) and Army.

Your wife will not be at sea if you're in the Navy. She'll be on shore in military or private housing while you're away at sea. You have shore duty and sea duty. Sea duty requires you to go on float for a period of time and could be difficult on your family.

But this is the same across all military branches (except for the Department of Homeland guys).

As a U.S. Marine (active), I can tell you the pay isn't good at first. I wasn't satisfied with it until I was an E4, probably two to three years in.

However, because you have a family, you would qualify for Basic Housing Allowance (or military housing), Food stipend (and be able to shop at the commissary), medical for your spouse and child, etc.

You're looking at eight to 13 weeks in basic training depending on your branch. Then your M.O.S. school, which varies. I can only really tell you about the Marine Corps IT M.O.S. school in 29 Palms, which I was an instructor at for 3+ years. You'll learn three modules of CCNA (up to the WAN module), MS Server, MS Exchange, IT Essentials (A+) and a few other classes. I think the Army 25B at Fort Gordon is similar.

If you do sign up, you would qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill. And the military does provide tuition assistance; however, they are cutting it back.

I love being in the military, but it's not for everybody.

As far as the path you're going now, do you have a window of time that you will complete those certifications?
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Looks like you already have some certs, I'd say keep going if you can. What I would do is get the CCNA and right away start looking for a job that will build your experience and possibly pay you enough to eliminate the 2 job situation.

What does your wife do, does she work? Can she work? Does she not make much? If she can work but yet doesnt make much, tell her to look into working at a child care such as KinderCare. I'm assuming part of your worry is cost of the child, well the discounts you get for child care when you work there are quite nice :) Trust me, saved us A LOT of money so far.

Honestly, to me it sounds like you are fairly close to getting where you want to be if you keeping pushing and just get at least a CCNA or MCITP. And it sounds like you may be willing to relocate if you are considering military, in which case start looking where the money/jobs are.
  • Options
    bdub wrote: »
    it sounds like you may be willing to relocate if you are considering military, in which case start looking where the money/jobs are.

Another option is to get your CCNA and Sec+ and try to get a contracting job through the Federal government or DoD. The money is pretty good. I'm in Tampa and there are numerous contractor jobs here. Ditto for D.C. Area, San Diego and a few other heavily concentrated spots.

My buddy got out and got a contracting job with AT&T and was offered six figures, but he had CISSP, CCNP, CCDP, Net+, Sec+, A+ and 10+ years in the military.
  • Options
    wow... CCNP CISSP.. jesus. I am far away from studying the dictionary sized cert called the CISSP. lol. It would almost be easier to enlist.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    If you get placed in the right positions, the Military will pay for those. Got 3 guys in my office that were sent to training and took the test for free... of course only one of them actually managed to get his CISSP, the others are trying again.