Options

Google Chrome thinks TechExams has malware

2»

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    It's not just Chrome:
    See my reply above yours (and the others for more info).

The warning happens also in Firefox because Mozilla gets that info from Google, which as I mentioned above is no longer applicable, but will take some time to be removed from all indexed urls.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Cheers for the update and explanation, plus all the work you do keeping the site going. Great to see service as normal has resumed icon_wink.gif
    Thanks, I usually love doing the work :)
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for the explanation. I caught the same thing on multiple browsers and multiple platforms. Glad to hear it was nothing major and has been resolved.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the update Webmaster!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for update!! I noticed it as well as everybody else
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've reimaged my desktop and laptop 3 times and I still have the malware. Do I have to buy a new hard drive?

icon_lol.gif JK
  • Options
    Latest update from Google:
    Google wrote:
    Status of the latest badware review for this site: A review for this site has finished. The site was found clean. The badware warnings from web search are being removed. Please note that it can take some time for this change to propagate.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome! Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    JDMurray wrote: »
    And Now A Public Service Message:

TechExams.net has been happy to have enabled it's members to test the Malware site detection feature in their browsers. If your browser didn't indicate the possibility of Malware when visiting TE, you should consider updating your Web browser software. ;)

+1 icon_lol.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sooo from everyones timestamp, that means you guys were just ignoring the warning and continuing to post and view the forums? What if there WAS a real malicious link? Come on guys, I would have not proceeded after getting a warning flag like that.. Me myself, I heeded the warning and did not continue. Just checked tonight and was able to view it without getting the warning.
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lenell86 wrote: »
    you guys were just ignoring the warning and continuing to post and view the forums?

Yes. I see nothing wrong with that. Sounds to me like you have no sense of adventure sir.
  • Options
    lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL ok I lie, I was a bit curious too, BUT I opened techexams on a VM with Kaspersky and hit ignore and it blocked some weird URL pointing to a ru domain but still loaded the page:)
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • Options
    RoyalTechRoyalTech Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got the malware message on firefox this morning and closed it down until now. I noticed that some of the posters early in this thread passed the warning off and went to the site anyway. How can that be done with any confidence? Is it that the site is just trusted or is it some other reason? I didn't have the guts to ignore the warning despite the site. Can some fill me in as to why you chose to ignore the warning?
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    The site was taken down for five hours of maintenance. I figured I'd be adventurous and check it out after that had been completed and saw everything was ok
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for your prompt attention and hard work in keeping this an awesome and malware-free site, Johan.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I"m on a work computer - I wasn't too phased by it, Figured there would be a post up eplaining the situation and if there wasn't then I would just assume I would need to reimage.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    lenell86 wrote: »
    sooo from everyones timestamp, that means you guys were just ignoring the warning and continuing to post and view the forums? What if there WAS a real malicious link? Come on guys, I would have not proceeded after getting a warning flag like that.. Me myself, I heeded the warning and did not continue. Just checked tonight and was able to view it without getting the warning.

Sandboxie...
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Webmaster wrote: »
    . . .plus I keep a close eye on the server most of the day myself as well.
    -Johan

Wow. I didn't realize this place took so much effort to keep going. Thanks for all the hard work, Johan!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have Windows 7 Antivirus 2012 protecting me so I am good. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get my credit card out again to clean up these 300 registry errors. The price of protection! ;)

/end hopefully obvious sarcasm so I am not responsible for some CISSP's exploding head
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    JDMurray wrote: »
    And Now A Public Service Message:

TechExams.net has been happy to have enabled it's members to test the Malware site detection feature in their browsers. If your browser didn't indicate the possibility of Malware when visiting TE, you should consider updating your Web browser software. ;)

Funny...IE9 didn't say anything
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RoyalTech wrote: »
    Can some fill me in as to why you chose to ignore the warning?

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't see a problem with it. I do trust this site, but am not naive enough to think it's impossible for them to have been compromised. It was annoying having to hit the ignore button for every tab while trying to navigate, but I saw no danger. What's the worst that could have happened? Keylogger? Virus? (No good zero-day is going to show it's face on a tech certification forum) Aside from trusting this site, I also trust myself in that I believe I've achieved a level of "security" on my computers that puts me at a high comfort level. This is something I think all IT professionals should be able to understand. As Hypntick said above: Sandboxie. If you're ever in doubt, browse through a sandbox. Not to say I think I'm invulnerable, because I know I'm not. But I feel I have taken all the right steps in that direction. I feel comfortable saying that 99% of "stuff" I could be infected by while web browsing will either be negated by sandboxie or removed by one of the malware/security softwares I use. Lastly:I'm a nerd, give me a reason to wipe my hard drive and start fresh and I'll smile at it. There's nothing quite like the feeling of pulling that dban disk out and popping the OS install disk in. It's like that new car smell IMO.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Qord wrote: »
    I also trust myself in that I believe I've achieved a level of "security" on my computers that puts me at a high comfort level..

Exactly this! I have confidence that I have secured myself and have the technical know how to not easily have my machine compromised.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Stop visiting?!!??? How will I get my techie fix?! *taps vein*

I know the feeling. I thought it best to wait out whatever problem and come back later, but it almost felt like withdrawal.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    loneferretloneferret Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Edit by Webmaster: See PM please.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm not too worried about whatever is on a site. I'm usually surfing through VMs on my laptop anyways and even if something was to infect my host OS, I'm sure that I can remove 99% of whatever crap can infect my machine. If that doesn't work, I'll just nuke and pave. I am religious about backups so I wouldn't lose anything.

That being said, I've only downloaded one virus and one trojan in my entire 25 years of using computers and it was on purpose. I have a fairly good track record. *knock on wood*
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all your hard work icon_wm.gif.

I think everyone should take minute to visit: Support TechExams.net
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Yes, norton was going crazy the other day giving me a warning.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trend micro is still flagging this.
  • Options
    ejg398 wrote: »
    Trend micro is still flagging this.
    Thanks for the info. It looks like their site adviser info is based on the past 7 or 30 days even like some others but I will verify and contact them to see how we can get that warning removed as well.

The server is continuously being monitored and scanned with positive fresh results so far.
  • Options
    ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK Trend Micro is good now.
  • Options
    Great, thanks again. I explained the situation to Trend Micro directly after my previous post, nice to see they handled it swiftly.