Options

Need your opinions please

darrbajadarrbaja Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Basically I need to do a choice between choosing to continue a 1 year degree top-up or accepting a post of Systems Admin (20k EUR/yr + fuel allowance + free mobile post paid).

Currently I got the BTEC Higher National Diploma in computer networks and I am also studying for CCNA on my own. As for job experience I got around 4 years as technical support.

I really wanted to finish up the degree, if not by lectures, at least through online study. However since this company mentioned that I'll be on call, I won't be able to attend lectures for the degree. On the other hand the only local college that offers online course, you need to create a software artifact (even though you select an IT track instead of CS). Since I've always selected the networking path, I wasn't exposed to java, C#, .net, etc. Therefore creating such artifact would prove a bit difficult maybe.

Essentially my dilemma is this:

Refuse the Systems Administrator Job + go for 1 yr top-up degree

OR

Accept the job + self-study for certifications such as Cisco and Microsoft (doing degree while on this job might not work out for me due to the need of attending classes x2 a week here).

Needless to say, it is not so often that you get such an opportunity with experience as technical support + BTEC HND only. Usually they ask for admin exp etc etc. These guys will be mentoring me too. This is why I am reluctant in letting this opportunity slip away....

What would you do in my stead? :)

Comments

• Options
    KEmmottKEmmott Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Firstly, congratulations on the offer of employment!!

Have a word with your prospective employer (request a short meeting with them if possible) and explain your predicament to them. Having an employee who has completed degree education can be of benefit to them and you may find that they are willing to work with you to arrange your on-call duties so that you can attend the lectures.

If they are adamant that there would be time conflict with lecture attendance and work commitments, then personally, I'd give the online option a go. Creating the software artifact may be difficult for you, but will ultimately add another string to your bow!

Best of luck!
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    i think C++ and programming is more demand than networking, if u look at 'software' section in craigslist its more flooded with more jobs(and higher payed) than technical/systems combined
  • Options
    @ KEmmott

Thanks for your feedback. I am trying to find a good programme from foreign (mostly UK) universities, even though a local tutor would be great....however that cannot be since local colleges require attendance to evening lectures. (I still need to ask the company if they are willing to allow me to attend lectures 6pm-9pm x2 days/week). If that doesn't work out, I'd have to keep looking for UK universities for online courses.

@HLRS

I agree with you, however I chose networking path over software development due to personal interest.

****Original Post Updated****
  • Options