Options

Is 24 too old being an IT intern?changing careers to IT

HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
wanting go to IT, am i old to be intern? i have gone through tech program where i earned A+,N+. mcts,mcitp:edst, but have no experience in IT. employers want exp but its hard to break in.

Comments

• Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    of course not. I know people who change career at 40.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL! I interned at 25, and some of the folks in my internship program were much older than me. Times, they are a changing.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think 24 is too old.

Good luck on your journey
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Never too old...I changed career fields at 27 and I was working in a pretty good paying field at that. You just have to have your mind made up that this is what you want to do
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    24 is more likely too young ....
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    24 is a good time to get started. You are just emerging from the haze that is 21-23. Most people don't remember those first two years after 21 anyways.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I switched to IT at 37.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had an intern about 3 years ago that was switching careers at ... 56!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    definitely not to old!
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    eansdad wrote: »
    I had an intern about 3 years ago that was switching careers at ... 56!

Good lord - I wonder what that did for his salary... I've thought about applying for some internships that the government offers, but I just can't afford to take the pay cut...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Absolutely not. Not to mention you have more certs than a lot of people in the field. You seem pretty well positioned to make an easy transition.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    28 and just getting started myself
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was working at Ponderosa Steak House working the grill at 24 lol.
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    it's never too late.
  • Options
    tleade01tleade01 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Never too old! A man in my class looked at least like he was 70 and he got his CCNA.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think you will be just fine at 24. 40? maybe I would have another opinion. You are still young!
  • Options
    Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just came off an internship and I'm 32. If you have the means to make a career change to something you love, you're never too old.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Great questions and one I had for sometime now. I always felt a little guilty to accept a position that wanted to bring you in for a long term development program. I see a lot of Telecom companies offering current students with these types of positions.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just interviewed an intern in his late 20s (my estimate). We're interviewing several more, most of them late 20s to early 30s career switchers.

The short answer is "no".
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HLRS wrote: »
    wanting go to IT, am i old to be intern? i have gone through tech program where i earned A+,N+. mcts,mcitp:edst, but have no experience in IT. employers want exp but its hard to break in.

Not at all. I've known a lot of career changers, and people that interned around their late 30s, to late 40s. Do what makes you happy and whatever will help you achieve your goals without hurting others. Good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you kidding?? I went back to college (Cisco Net Academy) at 37. Started first IT job at 38. Best move I ever made. Wish I would have done it sooner.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    Thanks everyone for the input, seems career change is not that hard then, im glad i found this forum
  • Options
    ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started as a Tier 1 Helpdesk support guy at age 24... trust me, you're not too old.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started in IT when I was 19 years old. Your definitely not too old icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63