Options

I finally did it! I am now an official IT professional!

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
About 7 months ago, I posted the following thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/71973-starting-wish-i-hadnt-looked-section.html

I was very disheartened by the expectations of almost all of the entry level IT positions,and I was in dire need of reassurance. I spent the next 7 months studying and doing labs with almost ALL of my free time. I spent countless hours reading book after book and learned A LOT!! in fact in my recent interview I was told that I had more technical knowledge than 90% of the college grads who had been interviewed for the same position.

I am proud to say that my hard work and perseverance has paid off! I just got the phone call that I had been waiting for and was told that I had been chosen for the full time Help Desk Analyst position which I had interviewed for last week. It's a modest starting pay at $12.25 an hour but its Monday through Friday and has regular hours.Furthermore I have been told that I will be in direct competition with the part time person who he has yet to hire for an Analyst position which he hopes to fill by the end of the year. This job took about 20% luck, and 80% tenacity to get and I could not be more happy right now...

For anyone who is looking to get in the IT field without a degree, it is sooooo possible! It took a lot of work and a lot of brushing my shoulders off but I did it!

Looking forward, I am working on my CCNA,and have actually decided not to get a degree in IT but rather, business. From what I have learned, I have realized that IT is easy for me to learn, and going to school for it would be a tremendous waste of time for me. I personally feel that a degree in business with a strong technical background and certifications would make me far more valuable, but that's just how I feel about my path, to each their own.

Thanks to all of the members on here who take the time out of their days to provide support to people like me, you guys are amazing!!!
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations! Keep going! Getting your foot in the door of the IT field is the hardest part and you've done it. The only direction you have to go now is up!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! After a couple of months on the job, let us know how it's going.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Congrats and good for you for sticking with it! I have a pretty good idea of how you feel :D Keep it up and good luck with your career!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Glad to hear. Congrats!!!
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "We drank, we fought - he made his ancestors proud."

Well done!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Bookmark your thread and make sure to look at it every year to remind you how you got here. Do that, and you will definitely kick down more doors in this IT thing. And who knows, you might be an SME on the boards in a few years. icon_thumright.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hope i will be that lucky in New york city
  • Options
    Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats bugzy3188!! You're update is inspirational and shows that perseverance always pays off in time. Well done!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good job "neighbor." Glad those positions came through for you. Keep up the excellent work!
  • Options
    apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Way to keep at it! It's always great when good people get rewarded for their efforts. Enjoy your journey into the IT realm.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    I got into IT without a degree it definately took some tenacity and a few doors shutting in my face but im in now and Im motivated to move up... Congrats..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the job! Now take that same attitude and keep it with you throughout your career in IT, and it will make your doors limitless.