Options

omitting certification in resume

Many people mentioned in times when you have an advanced cert like a ccnp and lack adequate experience to apply for ccna level jobs. They also mention to omit the advanced cert on the resume.

I wondered if you get the job and only mention having the ccna would that back fire. for example if they require you to get a ccnp on them do you mention oh I happen to have it already. Has it ever became a problem for anyone.

Comments

• Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    I was under the assumption that the people who omit certs from their resume do it when the cert isn't relevant to the job their applying for. If a job needs a CCNA and you had a CCNP, you'd think it's all relevant so it wouldn't hurt to leave it. I wouldn't know, though, so let someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe an employer wouldn't take you as seriously or something, but if it's an entry level job anyway..
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hired a guy who had omitted his CCNP when I hired for a position in my LAN shop. I found out about it later when I started talking about not studying for it because we didn't do NP level work. When he revealed to me that he already had his NP I was a bit surprised, but actually it made sense because I found him very knowledgeable and a valuable resource to bounce off ideas about optimizing our different networks. The worst thing I made him do was buy me lunch for a week because he hid that fact from me. I think most folks will take it positively as it's added value to a position and more so if you back up the revelation with knowledge much in the same way my coworker did. Of course, there'll always be a job or manager that won't agree with it and it could backfire, but I'd think that'd be the exception rather than the norm.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't really see it backfiring. I would simply state, in that situation, "I actually already have that certification, but I omitted it from my resume as I was being considered overqualified for positions I felt were well suited to my career level."

That being said, I wouldn't omit certifications from my resume in most circumstances. To me, someone who has a certification clearly above their career level (e.g. entry-level with CCNP) has an advantage, not a disadvantage. Yes, there is some chance you will be considered overqualified for some positions, but there are just as many for which that extra certification could be the difference between getting and not getting the job. Besides, if they think you're overqualified, you probably are and would probably get bored with that job and quit well before two years are up.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it is remotely relevant keep in on there. Your work experience should compliment it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think if it's relevant keep it, if it's doesn't don't. But usually in IT most certifications are fair game so I don't see that being a huge issue.

To be honest I am still on the fence and don't really know.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @elderkai I've actually seen positions asking for (CCNA LEVEL KNOWLEDGE ONLY) in caps and everything. I take it alot of experience guys with higher certs tried to apply for that position maybe requesting higher pay grades. Idk just speculating..