Options

Realistic skill set for a Systems Administrator

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently working desktop support and I have done do for the past 4 years, but I'm in an environment where desktop support the only thing I'm exposed to so there is no room to learn from senior techs / systems administrators or be promoted into such a position.

So I'm guessing my best options would be to take a similar position else where, some where I could learn from others and/or have the potential to be promoted or stay put, learn the skills needed on my own and hopefully get hired into a system administrator position else where. With that being said? What should I be looking to learn and improve on? Currently I only deal with Windows client OS's, end-user troubleshooting, basic OS network troubleshooting, basic active directory duties, software/hardware break fix.

I was looking around job sites and saw these as requested skills/duties:

-Knowledge of Dameware
-Certification generation
-Routing and remote access
-Knowledge of troubleshooting Cisco routers
-VMWare
-Cirtrix XenServer

Also could some one elaborate on what I should be looking to learn with VMWare and XenServer when it comes to systems administration? I see those 2 a lot.
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    -Never heard of Dameware.
    -General Certifications speak for themselves. The CompTIA's that you have are good, but adding a Microsoft and/or Cisco makes you more marketable.
    -Routing and remote access - Would guess you could get familiar with how to use it/set it up (RRAS). VPN's/Firewalls are good to know as well.
    -Troubleshooting Cisco Routers - Really depends on the position on how much you will have to deal with them.
    -VMware - Familiarity with Virtualization, using the products (ESXi, VMware Server, VMware Workstation). Also some management programs (Vcenter). Those are either paid (free trial), have a lesser free version (VMware Player), or are completely free.
    -XenServer is another Virtualization platform like the VMware products.

As for learning them, I'd start with VMware Player or ESXi for free. Otherwise buy VMware Workstation. Learn/use them. Create VM's, learn to troubleshoot issues.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dameware is software for remote administration, different places will have different software so not a big deal.

I believe he is talking about generating certificates within the domain. Yes you should know how to do it but might not need to do it.

Routing and remote access, yes learn it, you should already know it as a desktop tech.

Cisco routers depends on the shop and if they have a network engineer title but knowing Cisco is always a good thing.

VMWare - Learn what it is, how to set it up and how to build and work with VMs.

Cirtrix XenServer - Same as VMWare

For VMWare I would work with ESXi, create VMs (DNS, DHCP, AD, Exchange ...Set up an entire network). You can also try XenServer on a trial basis if you wanted to learn to do the same thing on a Citrix platform or use Windows Hyper-V in Server 2008 or 2012. You could also look into Windows 7 deployments and Microsoft SCCM and maybe learn powershell.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    To be honest, any sort of Virtualization software is a great thing to learn and have under your belt because it enables you to do so much more. If you set-up ESXi, or Hyper-V you can build and tear down enviroments and work with multiple machines at once. It's great for mirroring possible environments and labbing for potential sysadmin certs.
  • Options
    Tackle wrote: »
    -Never heard of Dameware.
    -General Certifications speak for themselves. The CompTIA's that you have are good, but adding a Microsoft and/or Cisco makes you more marketable.
    -Routing and remote access - Would guess you could get familiar with how to use it/set it up (RRAS). VPN's/Firewalls are good to know as well.
    -Troubleshooting Cisco Routers - Really depends on the position on how much you will have to deal with them.
    -VMware - Familiarity with Virtualization, using the products (ESXi, VMware Server, VMware Workstation). Also some management programs (Vcenter). Those are either paid (free trial), have a lesser free version (VMware Player), or are completely free.
    -XenServer is another Virtualization platform like the VMware products.

As for learning them, I'd start with VMware Player or ESXi for free. Otherwise buy VMware Workstation. Learn/use them. Create VM's, learn to troubleshoot issues.

Thanks for all the replies.

I work with Virtual Box & VM Ware Workstation at home for labbing ( Server 2K8 ) & testing. I just figured these companies were looking for more than just knowledge of how to build & work in a virtual machine...but I guess I'm good there.

As for remote access...I do know how to access & troubleshoot it from a end-user perspective, but I don't know anything about implementing or managing it.

I think I'll continue focusing on Server 2008 and maybe take some Cisco classes later on, maybe do CCENT as I'm not looking to get heavy into networking equipment work but would like to know some of the basics.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dameware was/is super cheap and a great remote management tool that integrated with AD. Haven't seen what it looks like since Solarwinds bought them out.

No, you're not good by working with Virtual Box and VMWare Workstation at home. You're going to need to understand the enterprise management side of the house. Clustered hosts, VM failover, shared storage, MPIO and such.

"Knowledge of troubleshooting Cisco routers" is pretty generic. Everything else you listed was server admin specific, so it could range from very simple to very complex.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Is it possible to run Cirtix XenServer inside a WM (VMWare Workstation to be specific), I've had no lunk so far...when it comes to getting the network bridge to be recognized, I'm thinking the problem maybe that I'm trying to do it over wireless. I'll try a wired connection next