CCEN/CCNA pre study prep

dazl1212dazl1212 Posts: 377Member
I have been messing about with the CCNA for a while and getting nowhere I feel its a lack of fundamentals.
Does any body have any recommendations for good beginners networking books to get the fundamentals down?
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]

Comments

  • oli356oli356 Posts: 364Member
    What exactly have you been doing so far?

    I was enrolled on the academy so read through the chapters to learn the fundamentals but the glorious videos such as CBT Nugget ones are a great help.

    As for books the useful Todd Lammle ones get recommended and the Wendell Odom ones. I just went and bought the Odom books (ICND1 and ICND2, they come together) but I don't even need the ICND1 as I've passed my CCENT.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Posts: 211Banned
    It's not the fundamentals because I have the fundamentals and still just messing about with the CCNA and getting nowhere. I think it is all about environment. Mentally, you have to put yourself in a eat, sleep and dream the subject mindset. It is all about comprehension and retention and without that mindset, it will go in one ear and out the other. As far as fundamentals, you can try videos but they are pretty technical. I can see why you are not getting anywhere. I have the fundamentals and even I get overloaded quickly. Like I said, the key is to maintain goal over time and not get distracted which is the environment. Like I said, Eat, sleep and dream the subject which means continuous focus and concentration over time even when you sleep and wake up the next day! Then and only then, can you answer the question of how long it will take to pass the exam!!!!
    Memo to me and procrastinators: Don't bother. You are too lazy to study and by the same token too lazy to do the job. Hell, the way I see it you are too lazy to even live.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Posts: 377Member
    oli356 wrote: »
    What exactly have you been doing so far?

    I was enrolled on the academy so read through the chapters to learn the fundamentals but the glorious videos such as CBT Nugget ones are a great help.

    As for books the useful Todd Lammle ones get recommended and the Wendell Odom ones. I just went and bought the Odom books (ICND1 and ICND2, they come together) but I don't even need the ICND1 as I've passed my CCENT.

    I have the Odom book and I cant seem to get into it and just switch off after 10 mins. Read through the CCENT for dummies book and had forgot the beginning by the end icon_lol.gif May just watch the CBT nuggets from start to finish and see how that helps.
    Illumanati wrote: »
    It's not the fundamentals because I have the fundamentals and still just messing about with the CCNA and getting nowhere. Books do not help especially Odom, in my opinion. I think it is all about environment. If you can become a monk and join a monastery, there is some hope if you change your environment.
    icon_lol.gif In all seriousness I'm sorry to hear that. Personally I was at passing rate on the N+ practice exams but the cost of the exam put me off. Hopefully some people will chime in with suggestions that may help us bothicon_cheers.gif
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • oli356oli356 Posts: 364Member
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    I have the Odom book and I cant seem to get into it and just switch off after 10 mins. Read through the CCENT for dummies book and had forgot the beginning by the end icon_lol.gif May just watch the CBT nuggets from start to finish and see how that helps.
    As I said I haven't even looked at the book so can't comment but considering it's size I imagine its very detailed!

    I really do recommend CBT Nuggets, as does everyone on here.. You need that passion for the subject to understand it as Illumanati said. The videos just make it more fun as well instead of just reading... I could watch Jeremy's videos for hours.

    I would try and give them a watch and see if you get the understanding. Is there anything in particular you are struggling with? I've never done the N+ or looked at what it contains so not sure how much you already know.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Posts: 377Member
    I seemed to be doing OK until I got to the bit regarding the routing process. Basically got confused with when a router will RARP for a mac address of a device rather than using the IP address and just the routing process in general.
    In regards to the N+ not much it would seem.
    I am not sure though if I'm putting myself under too much pressure as I feel I need a cert as I am really stuck in a rut work wise and cannot seem to get anything better.
    I see a cert as a potential way out.
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • oli356oli356 Posts: 364Member
    Lets see if I get this right :p

    The source IP address can be you (192.168.1.2) and the destination can be a remote network (210.15.12.15icon_cool.gif or something like that. In the packet the source and destination IP address will not change.

    What does change is the MAC Address though. Once the packet gets to the default gateway it goes "well the destination IP address isn't mine, I will look in my routing table to see how it can get to the destination).
    It then strips away the source MAC, and puts its own MAC address as the source.. The destination MAC will be the next router it's going to (decided from the routing table).
    Once it gets to that router the source MAC address is changed to that routers MAC and the destination MAC is the next router it will go to... and so on)

    Hopefully that made sense, not great at explaining things!

    Edit: Basically, source MAC Address= where the packet currently is, MAC address
    Destination MAC Address = The next hop routers MAC Address.

    --
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Posts: 377Member
    Good explanation.
    Why would it have to RARP or ARP? Is it because they don't have MAC address tables?
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • oli356oli356 Posts: 364Member
    Pass :p Hopefully someone who actually knows can help!
    Well somehow I passed my ICND1 ;)

    Edit: Umm.... I can't ever remember even hearing about routers ARPing though or anything. Thought it was a layer 2 protocol for switches.. As I said, hopefully someone else can help :)
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Posts: 377Member
    oli356 wrote: »
    Pass :p Hopefully someone who actually knows can help!
    Well somehow I passed my ICND1 ;)

    Edit: Umm.... I can't ever remember even hearing about routers ARPing though or anything. Thought it was a layer 2 protocol for switches.. As I said, hopefully someone else can help :)
    Maybe you're right it may be me getting mixed up or over thinking it, I do that quite a bit icon_lol.gif
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
Sign In or Register to comment.